Series Problem (Steve Early) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 11 May 1995 02:16 UTC

Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 11:35:05 -1100
From: Steve Early <early@CRLMAIL.UCHICAGO.EDU>
Subject: Series problem

        A slightly different version of this was posted on Autocat.  Sorry
for the duplication.

        Dear Serialst subscribers,

        Here's a fun one for you Conser people and series authority experts.
It's long, but please bear with me.

         Summary of problem: what do you do with the monograph, serial and
series authority records of a monographic series in which the series title
changed, and individual monographs originally published under the earlier
series title are republished in new editions with their original numbers
but under the later series title?

        I am having some series trouble.  We have microfiche and some hard
copy for monographs for the following 2 series: Bombay Sanskrit series,
and: Bombay Sanskrit and Prakrit series (SAR n83742677).
I am trying to fix up some of the monograph records as well as
the corresponding serial and series authority records.

        My problem: monographs no. 1-64 were originally issued under the Bombay
Sanskrit series and monographs no. 65-    were issued under the later title
Bombay Sanskrit and Prakrit series. Some individual monographs in 1-64,
however, were republished in new editions with their original numbers but
under the Bombay Sanskrit and Prakrit series.
        Ex.: Nyayakosah / Bhimacharya Jhalakikar was originally published in
1875 as no. 49 of the Bombay Sanskrit series (see #24199558 for fiche record).
In 1928 it reappeared in a revised edition as no. 49 of the Bombay Sanskrit
and Prakrit series (see #29110798). CRL also holds a 1978 reprint of an even
later edition (#5847493) with "Bombay Sanskrit and Prakrit series" clearly
appearing on the title page.

        My questions:

        Monographs: if a revised edition of no. 1-64 has been republished with
the later series title, should I put Bombay Sanskrit and Prakrit series
in a 490 1 and make an 830 for Bombay Sanskrit series?  Or should I simply
make a 440 0  Bombay Sanskrit and Prakrit series?

        Serials: what sort of note should I add in the serial records
(#15210616 and #15210619 for microfiche versions) for the 2 series to bring
order to the chaos?
Some possibilities: "some nos. reissued in revised eds." for
both records; "some nos. reissued in revised eds.; includes nos. originally
issued under earlier title" for the Bombay Sanskrit and Prakrit series
serial record ("some nos. re-issued in revised eds. under later title" for
the Bombay Sanskrit series serial record); it was also suggested that I make
a note listing every known number reissued under the later title.

        Series authority records: Should I add a similar note to the SAR's?
(DLC used no. 38 as their series numbering example [field 642] in the SAR for
the Bombay Sanskrit and Prakrit series, so it appears they succumbed to the
confusion as well).  Or should my note refer to dates of publication?  Each
case of earlier numbers getting the later series title happened when the
item was republished after 1909, the year the title changed.  My note could
alert people to consider items with the earlier numbers republished after
1909 to be given a 440 0 Bombay Sanskrit and Prakrit series.  Or it could
instruct them to make a 490 1 one for the later title and an 830 for the
earlier.

        Hope this makes sense.  Suggestions or referrals to appropriate
AACR2 and RI's are much welcome (I couldn't find any which directly addressed
this problem).  Please respond to me personally [early@crlmail.uchicago.edu]
and, if people are interested, I will summarize to the List.

Steve Early
Serials Cataloger
Center for Research Libraries
Chicago, IL