Mid-term Price Increases (Bruce Brigell) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 11 May 1995 02:22 UTC

Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 10:19:01 -0500
From: Bruce Brigell <brigb@NSLSILUS.ORG>
Subject: Mid-term price increases

The Skokie Public Library is in the midst of changing subscription agents
for our periodical collection.  We carry over 800 titles on our list.

In reviewing the offers we have received, I am surprised that the major
jobbers are offering us no discount, and pass along price increases that
occur during the year.

When I was employed at a smaller library on the East Coast several years
ago, I remember receiving a discount on all subscriptions [in the area of
10%] and only paying the increases that occurred between the time the
renewal list was received [usually in July] and the time the renewals
were placed [usually in Nov.].

Is the type of arrangement I remember passe, or is it negotiable?

Is the passing along of mid-subscription increases standard operating
procedure from major jobbers in your experience, or are they taking
advantage of our institutional status?

As I am not a subscriber to SERIALST, please respond directly to me, or
include my address as a "CC:" if you think the whole list would benefit
from a discussion of this issue.  I will gladly summarize replies to the
list if requested.  If this issue has been covered in previous discussion
or in an FAQ, please provide me with pointers.

Thanks for any info. you are able to provide.

                Bruce Brigell
                Coordinator of Information Services
                Skokie Public Library
                Skokie, IL