ALA Meetings and Announcements (4 messages) Birdie MacLennan 19 Jun 1995 22:18 UTC

4 messages, 136 lines:
----------------------------
1.  ALCTS Serials Section Committee to Study Serials Standards meeting
2.  NOTIS/Ameritech Serials Special Interest Group Meeting
3.  Copyright Program: Copyright Tracking of Electronic Full Text
4.  ALCTS Medium Heads Program

Date:         Sun, 18 Jun 1995 16:05:56 -0400
From:         Betty Landesman <betty@GWIS2.CIRC.GWU.EDU>
Subject:      ALCTS Serials Section Committee to Study Serials Standards meeting
Comments: To: acqnet-l@appstate.edu, autocat@ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu,
          libadmin@umab.umd.edu, lita-l@UICVM.CC.UIC.EDU,
          serialst@uvmvm.uvm.edu, colldv-l@vm.usc.edu, ecoll@unllib.unl.edu,
          vpiej-l@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu

This message is being posted to multiple lists.  Please excuse any
duplication.

At the upcoming ALA annual conference, the ALCTS Serials Section
Committee to Study Serials Standards will be meeting at on Monday, June
26, from 4:30-5:30, MCC-E253 B.  At this meeting, the second of our two
meetings at the conference, we will be discussing what we should be doing
at future meetings: what aspects of the subject "serials standards"
should be discussed? who should we invite to attend our meetings?  etc.

Your input is not only wanted, but needed!  If you wish to attend the
meeting and share your ideas, you will be a welcome participant.  If you
have ideas but will not be at the meeting, please send them to me via E-mail
and I will bring them to the meeting on your behalf.  (Please remember to
reply directly to me, not to whatever list you are reading!!!)

I look forward to seeing you/hearing from you.

Betty Landesman                         Phone:    202-994-1333
Coordinator, Systems Planning           FAX:      202-463-6205
Gelman Library                          BITNET:   betty@gwuvm
George Washington University            Internet:
2130 H Street NW                          betty@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
Washington, DC   20052

-----------------------------
Date:         Mon, 19 Jun 1995 13:23:00 CDT
From:         CADMWL@UIAMVS.WEEG.UIOWA.EDU
Subject:      ALA Meeting Announcement

The NOTIS/Ameritech Serials Special Interest Group Meeting
will be held at 8:30 am, Tuesday, June 27, McCormick Place
room E (east building) 151  (MCC-E151).

Joyce McDonough, our representative from NLUC (NOTIS
Libraries Users Council) will report on the Council meeting.

Am Ameritech representative will speak about the most recent plans
for HORIZON.

The LSER Rewrite Team will hold their first meeting on Sunday,
June 25 and will report on their plans for the future.

See you at 8:30 am on Tuesday, June 27.

The NOTIS/Ameritech Acquisitions Special Interest Group meeting
will immediately follow the Serials meeting.  We expect it will
begin at 9:30 am.  Those attending mid-winter ALA expressed a
preference for condensing time in this manner.

Marjorie Wilhite, Co-Chair, NOTIS Serials Special Interest Group

---------------------------
Date:         Mon, 19 Jun 1995 15:38:51 -0500
From:         Sandy Hurd <SHURD@EBSCO.COM>
Subject:      CHICAGO COPYRIGHT PROGRAM

COPYRIGHT TRACKING OF ELECTRONIC FULL TEXT:  ISSUES AND ANSWERS
     Explore the issues and examine methods of tracking copyright
     for unmediated full-text delivery to end users.

Monday, June 26, 9:00 - 11:00 AM; MAR -- Chicago BR  A,B,C

Program Speakers:
*  Laura N. Gasaway, Director of the Law Library and Law Professor,
     University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
*  Don L. Bosseau, University Librarian, San Diego State University
*  John Kolman, Vice President Development, Ameritech Library
     Services Academic Division
*  Randall Marcinko, Vice President & General Manager, EBSCOdoc
Committee.
--
For more information contact Sandra Hurd (shurd@ebsco.com) or
Artemis Kirk (akirk@vmsvax.simmons.edu)

--------------------------
Date:         Mon, 19 Jun 1995 16:02:00 EDT
From:         "Rita.Echt" <20676RLE@MSU.EDU>
Subject:      ALCTS Medium Heads Program

----------( Forwarded letter 1 follows )----------------------------------------
Date: Monday, 19 June 1995 12:42pm ET
From: Colleen.Hyslop

ALCTS Technical Services Administrators of Medium Sized Research Libraries
Discussion Group

Saturday, June 24, 9:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Swissotel, Alpine Ballroom 2

Topic:  The Stanford University Libraries Redesign Report!

Speakers:  Catherine M. Tierney, Acting Assistant University Librarian for
Technical Services, Stanford University Libraries, and compiler for the
Redesign Team of the Report; assisted by Karen Kalinsky, Head of Acquisitions
and member of the Redesign Team; and representatives from four of the vendors
with whom Stanford has had discussions: Dan Halloran, Academic Books; Allan
Graham, BNA; Liz Bishoff, OCLC; and Gary Shirk, Yankee Book Peddler.

Highlights:  Catherine Tierney will provide an update on the current status
and implementation of the Redesign Report and cover the content of the Report,
concepts widely applicable to other libraries (vendor-assisted processing of
monographs, process changes 1-3), significant issues these raise for all
libraries, internal issues, and external issues with vendors and utilities.
Following questions from the audience, each vendor will react to Ms. Tierney's
comments and present their views of the implications of these massive changes
for libraries, vendors, library/vendor and vendor/vendor relationships. Their
focus will include topics such as changes in pricing models, what a library
can reasonably expect to save, how outsourcing demands are changing vendor
operations, vendor concerns in meeting the new and increasingly complex needs
of libraries, the new nature of cooperation and competition between vendors.
Audience questions will follow.

Tip:  Before the program, read the Stanford Redesign Report on the Web at:
http://www-sul.stanford.edu:8000/sul-as-org/redesign/redesign.html.  Other
related documents will be found on the Web in this area as well.