Newspaper Check-in (4 messages) Birdie MacLennan 30 Jun 1995 17:14 UTC

4 messages, 65 lines:
---------------------------

Date:         Fri, 30 Jun 1995 08:32:23 -0500
From:         Nancy Taub <NTAUB@CENTER.COLGATE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Newspaper Check-in

I also have discontinued manual/online check in of daily newspapers.  It
seemed a very time consuming task and since we only keep a limited amount
for certain papers, we were constantly deleting issues, as well.  Now, we
just display the current issues and check in microfilm.  Our online record
says "current issues only" for the titles we don't receive on film.  Hope
this info can help your decision.

Nancy Taub
Colgate University

--------------------------
Date:         Fri, 30 Jun 1995 07:41:50 CST
From:         Donna Lively <LIVELY@LIBRARY.UTA.EDU>

When I started here, we were not checking in any newspapers. Then we
started having delivery problems.  Now, we don't have an integrated
serials department and it took awhile for Current Periodicals for some
reason to even realize that they weren't getting what they should.  A
couple of irate patrons later, Serials Acquisitions (that's me)
was alerted and we got on it.  There being a lot of turnover in
Current Periodicals because it is largely staffed with student help, I
didn't think that just telling them to let us know when
several issues in a row failed to appear would be particularly
effective in the long run.  So I decided that check-in for at least
those newspapers for which we pay for should be re-instituted.  It
was and it hasn't been too much of a burden, at least I haven't heard
any loud moaning coming from the direction of our periodicals check-
in assistant, bless him.  Of course, we don't subscribe to a large
number of newspapers either.

Donna Lively
Lively@library.uta.edu

---------------------------
Date:         Fri, 30 Jun 1995 09:05:16 EDT
From:         Chuck Hughes <CRHUGH01@ULKYVM.LOUISVILLE.EDU>
Subject:      Newspaper Check-in

We check-in dailies by date only; weeklies by vol. & no.

Chuck Hughes <CRHUGH01@ULKYVM.LOUISVILLE.EDU>

Date:         Fri, 30 Jun 1995 09:45:07 EST
From:         Olga Russov <orussov@KSCMAIL.KENNESAW.EDU>

We still check in all of our daily newspapers on Faxon Microlinx system.
Every year we purge the check-in data to allow for more efficient data
storage, consume less disk space and streamline operations.

Olga Russov                       phone: (404) 423-6189
Head of Acquisitions and Serials  fax:   (404) 423-6727
Kennesaw State College, GA        e-mail: orussov@kscmail.kennesaw.edu