Re: Cataloging Data (Kathy Pratt) Marcia Tuttle 07 Jul 1995 17:46 UTC

2 messages:
----------

Date:         Thu, 6 Jul 1995 23:49:32 -0600
From: William Katzell / Wilhelm von Ulm <wilhelm@FREENET.EDMONTON.AB.CA>
Subject:      Re: Cataloging data (Kathy Pratt)

As far as I know, this is why they invented the term "copy cataloguing".
If it weren't for copying, most libraries would go broke paying for far
too many full time cataloguers.

William Katzell / Wilhelm von Ulm  | email: wilhelm@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
KWIC Services                      | phone: 1-403-455-0404
11910 - 126 Street                 | work : 1-403-452-4302
Edmonton, AB, CANADA T5L 0W2       |      : 1-800-279-6098

Date:         Fri, 7 Jul 1995 10:35:02 GMT+2
From: "Heinrich C. Kuhn" <hck@IPP-GARCHING.MPG.DE>

   I fear the answer(s) will be dependent on the copyright laws and
regulations of your country and perhaps as well of the country where from
you will get the cut & pasted data:

   As far as I know here in Germany e.g. you could copy without problems
the bare Author/Title/place etc. information, whereas any indexing done in
the record is subject to copyright.

   Most probably there will be a limited number of catalogues you would
like to use in this way. I'd suggest that you contact the institutions
producing them, whether they consider your copying their information that
way as fair use or not.

HTH

Heinrich C. Kuhn

* Dr. Heinrich C. Kuhn      Max-Planck-Gesellschaft /GV IIb3
* Postfach 101062 (P.B.)    Koeniginstr. 19  (street)
* D-80084 Muenchen (P.B.)   D-80539 Muenchen (street addr.)
*
* eMail:
*   hck@ipp-garching.mpg.de           or
*   kuhn@mpg-gv.mpg.de
*
* voice: +49-89-2108 1563    Fax: +49-89-2108 1565