Inquiry regarding acceptance of serial gifts Marcia Tuttle 10 Aug 1995 14:20 UTC

4 messages

----------
Date:         Wed, 9 Aug 1995 15:19:05 -0600
From: Elizabeth Boyson <alieb@GEMINI.OSCS.MONTANA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Inquiry regarding acceptance of serial gifts (Aimee Algier)

Re; Illiegal to accept runs of serials that were personal subsciptions::

Perhaps you could amplify this point. I am not familiar with it.

Thank You.

Elizabeth Boyson                       Phone:406-994-5305
Montana State University - Bozeman     FAX:406-994-2851
Head, Serials/Acquisitions             Internet: alieb@montana.edu
Renne Library
Bozeman, MT 59717
-----

Date:         Wed, 9 Aug 1995 17:27:33 EDT
From: Joyce Tracy <jat@MWA.ORG>

I think that there has been some discussion of this topic and you might
check the serialst archives for that information.

Joyce Tracy <jat@mwa.org>
-----
Date:         Wed, 9 Aug 1995 15:55:17 -0700
From: Mitch Turitz <turitz@MERCURY.SFSU.EDU>

Aimee:
  I can't tell you the legalities, but I will tell you what we do.  (If
you want legal advice, you should check with your university's legal
counsel) Seriously, you should not be looking for "free legal advice"
through the Internet.  If you end up getting sued, you can't cite Serialst
as your legal authority.

  Generally, our periodicals dept. refuses to accept personal
subscriptions just because of the problems associated with check-in,
claiming and receiving the issues regularly.  (I am assuming that you are
referring to a professor subscribing to a journal and then donating the
issues to the library after his entire department has routed, circulated
and read the issues).

  If the periodicals clerk personally knows someone is subscribing to a
journal that the library also subscribes to, then she will ask the person
for a particular issue if the library is missing that issue (which is a
lot easier than claiming issues through a large agancy).

  We do have a "adopt-a-journal" program where the person or department
can make a donation (of cash or check) to the Friends of the Library which
will then transfer the funds into the acquisitions budget earmarked for
the specific journals in question.  Yes, it is more expensive than a
personal subscription (we have to subscribe at the institution rates), but
we think it is better to do everything "above-board."

-- Mitch
-----

  _^_                                                 _^_
( ___ )-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-( ___ )
 |   |                                               |   |
 |   |     Mitch Turitz, Serials Librarian           |   |
 |   |     San Francisco State University Library    |   |
 |   |     Internet: turitz@sfsu.edu                 |   |
 |   |                                               |   |
( ___ )-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-( ___ )
   V                                                   V

  "Outsourcing is a desperate remedy for management failure,
    not the criticism of catalogers." -- Michael Gorman,
       "Crisis in Subject Cataloging and Retrieval"
          June 25, 1995, ALA Conference, Chicago
-----
Date:         Thu, 10 Aug 1995 08:12:27 EDT
From: W Ted Rogers <WTR100F@ODUVM.CC.ODU.EDU>

RE:serials gift policies.

I would be very interested in the results of Ms Algier's survey on
policies for acceptance of gifts. We are in the very beginnings of
investigating the same issue here at Old Dominion University Library.
that Ms Algier and I are not alone in wanting to know what others are
doing about gifts.

W Ted Rogers, Serials Librarian
Old Dominion University Library, Norfolk, VA 23529-0256
Ph.: 804 683-4144        Fax: 804 683-5035
Internet: <wtr100f@shakespeare.lib.odu.edu
      or: <wtr100f@oduvm.cc.odu.edu
"Il n'est pas question de rejeter la technique. Nous ne
pouvons pas regresser, nous sommes obliges de passer a
travers la technique. Et pour cela nous devons combattre
l'objet technique, nous mesurer avec lui."
-- Paul Virilio, in "Esclaves de la vitesse [interview]",
POLITIS-MAGAZINE, no.19 (1994:July/Aug.), p.75.