Re: fotomechanical reproductions of serial publications Mitch Turitz 05 Sep 1995 23:00 UTC

Anneke:

  This is the problem of MULTIPLE VERSIONS again.  ALA has published the
Guidelines for the Bibliographic Description of Reproductions, which
describes how to deal with situations, including this one.

  Unfortunately, this is NOT a standard, and technically, goes against
the basic rule of AACR2, which basically says that you catalog from the
piece in hand, not create a record for the original based on a
reproduction. So, if you want to follow AACR2, you must create a separate
bibliographic record for the reproducltion.

  If you want to follow a commonly accepted practice (which does NOT
follow AACR2): you can use one bibliographic record and then add a note
indicating which issues are a reproduction and any other volume-specific
information.

  The problem with having different versions combined into one
bibliographic record is when the record is shared across one (or more)
national (or international) database(s).  If it is only in your online
catalog, you may decide that it would better serve your patrons to have
all the information in one record.

  Just my opinion.

-- Mitch
  _^_                                                 _^_
( ___ )-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-( ___ )
 |   |                                               |   |
 |   |     Mitch Turitz, Serials Librarian           |   |
 |   |     San Francisco State University Library    |   |
 |   |     Internet: turitz@sfsu.edu                 |   |
   V                                                   V

  "Outsourcing is a desperate remedy for management failure,
      not the criticism of catalogers." -- Michael Gorman,
         "Crisis in Subject Cataloging and Retrieval"
            June 25, 1995, ALA Conference, Chicago