Re: Ownership Labeling Craig Fairley 14 Sep 1995 16:06 UTC

I am replying to SERIALST because there seems to be a wider interest in this
topic.

At Metro Toronto Reference Library, Periodicals have a preprinted ownership
label applied to the lower left of the front cover.  Labels are preprinted
for each department (there are 9) and the most common sub-locations.  For
less frequently used sub-locations, it is added with a rubber stamp.  Date
is not added.  If people need that info, they can find it online in the
OPAC/Serials checkin display.  Preprinted labels were found to be faster to
apply than using a rubber stamp.  MTRL used to date the label, but its
elimination cut the processing time by 1/3.  (They still use rubber stamps
for newsletters where there is no space for a label.  Archival quality stamp
ink is used)  Labels measure 1"x2".  Label stock was custom produced using a
stable adhesive approved by the library's preservation department (Rhoplex,
I believe) .  Very few periodicals are classified.  Where there is a call
number it is printed on the edge of the ownership label.

A security strip with adhesive on both sides is placed in the gutter 2 pages
from the back, excluding the cover.  For narrow gutter periodicals,
newspapers, or newsletter formats, a special ownership label with a security
strip imbedded in it (a la video stores) is applied to the back cover along
the top edge. That label is 1/4"x4".

>Upon the receipt of serial issues, the policy at the Morehead State
>University Library is to stamp each issue with a date stamp, including
>Library name, on the front and back covers.  If the covers are too
>shiny or dark to show the stamp, the first clear page inside the front
>cover is stamped.
>
>This policy is being reviewed by our Library Director and Preservation
>Committee.  We would like to know what other libraries are doing;
>therefore, we are seeking feedback from SERIALST subscribers.
>
>Please send messages to b.wilson@morehead-st.edu
>
> Betty Jean Wilson <b.wilson@MOREHEAD-ST.EDU>

Craig Fairley
Information Dynamics
2165 Margot Street
Oakville, Ontario
L6H 3M5
(905) 842-9506

Services in Information and Process Management"