Check out of journals (Kaye Talley) Marcia Tuttle 24 Oct 1995 17:12 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 11:19:41 CST6CDT
From: Kaye Talley <KAYET@CC3.UCA.EDU>
Subject: Check out of journals

Hi!

The University of Central Arkansas' primary mission is teaching and
we also provide advanced preparation in a number of vocational fields
and professions.  There are 85 undergraduate and 32 graduate programs
leading to 16 degrees.  We have an FTE student body of 7,689 and a
head count of 8,882.  There are 374 full-time faculty and 97
part-time faculty.  There are approximately 390,000 book volumes and
approximately 85,000 bound journals in our library.  We currently
subscribe to and/or receive as gifts 2,414 titles.  Now, to my actual
question!

The checkout policy for journals has always been that they do not
circulate outside the building.  However, we have tried to accommodate
faculty members by letting them check both current issues and bound
journals out;  mostly they do this for photocopy purposes.  The
library charges five cents per copy but the faculty generally say
that they can make cheaper copies on the copiers in their own
departments.  I somehow doubt this and feel that it is probably just
an excuse.  We do have a copy center for this type of use but,
unfortunately, it is not staffed throughout the day this semester.

We are interested in other libraries' policies concerning journal
checkout, especially those libraries that are comparable in size and
number of faculty.

Thanks for your help!

Kaye Talley

Kaye M. Talley