Serials that Come with a CD or Diskette (3 messages) Marcia Tuttle 24 Oct 1995 17:19 UTC

(1)
From: CFTREMPE@hawk.syr.edu
Date:          Tue, 24 Oct 1995 08:49:48 EST
Subject:       Re: Serials that come with a CD or diskette (Amey Park)

Please see below for what we are currently doing at Syracuse U.
Library:

    ANSWER: we consult with the subject librarian regarding treatment
and retention of the disk, as well as checking the CONSER record on
OCLC to see if it has been revised to account for the disk(s).  In
addition, we check OCLC to see if the disk has been treated
separately.

    There are 3 possibilities for handling a CD or disk:

    1.  discard, if item is simply advertising or other material of
little lasting importance

    2.  catalogue as a separate title, serial or monograph as
appropriate.  If serial treatment is chosen, we set up an OPR for the
electronic title.  It is given an accession-type call number.

    3.  treat item as an electronic supplement to the print title; in
this case, the electronic item has the same call number as the print
title.  A 525 note is added to the bibliographic record:
    "Some issues accompanied by supplementary material on computer
disk (OR computer laser optical disc) ..."
    Disks are then added to the MARC holdings record in 867-fields,
usually given the same detail as the issue, with an additional
designation of "computer disk" or "CD-ROM"

    We are a NOTIS library and annotate the OPR to document how we
have treated the disk(s)

    > 3.  Do you house the item in the stacks or in a special, secure
>       location?

    ANSWER: For titles in our main library, the CD or disk is sent to
our media dept.; branch libraries keep CDs and disks at their
service desks.
    A label is typed and placed on the cover of the serial issue
alerting users to the presence of the disk and providing location
information.  The issue is housed in the current periodicals area
until bound.

> 4.  Do you separate the serial from the CD or disk?

    ANSWER: yes, see above

> 5.  If you keep the serial and CD or disk together, do you put the
>       pocket for the CD or disk in the front or back of the serial?

> 6.  What do you do if more than one CD or disk comes with the serial?

        ANSWER: if the disk or CD is a supplement to the print
title, or treated as a separate serial title, we add future disks to
the holdings record as they are received.

 > 7.  What do you do when the issue is bound?

    ANSWER: the label remains on the cover of the issue and will
alert users to the presence of a disk or CD

Charles Tremper
head, serials unit
Syracuse University Library
----------
(2)
Date:         Tue, 24 Oct 1995 09:06:25 -0400
From: Cecilia Leathem <CLEATHEM@UMIAMI.IR.MIAMI.EDU>
Comments: To: SERIALST@uvmvm.uvm.edu

We separate the CD from the serial, ask the subject bibliographer to
review and make a recommendation for retention and then catalog the
CD, creating a separate record.  All non-textual media are shelved at
the Reserve area and are ciirculated from that point.  Generally, no
problems with these procedures have arisen.  However, I hope we will
review our policy and procedures in the near future because I wonder
how many of these CD's are actually used--in part because they are kept
separate from the issues they accompany.

Cecilia Leathem
cleathem@umiami.ir.miami.edu
Head, Serials Cataloging Unit
Otto G. Richter Library
University of Miami
----------
(3)
Date:         Tue, 24 Oct 1995 10:16:23 -0400
From: Joyce Tracy <jat@MWA.ORG>
Comments: To: "SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum"
          <SERIALST@uvmvm.uvm.edu>

I think that some of your question was discussed a while ago and
those messages might be retrieved from the Archives.

  Curator of Newspapers               *  email:     jat@mwa.org  *
  American Antiquarian Society        *  phone:     (508) 755-5221    *
  185 Salisbury Street                *  fax:       (508) 753-3311    *