Records for Different Formats (Ed Kownslar) Marcia Tuttle 25 Oct 1995 15:26 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 16:22:07 EST
From: ekownslar <ekownslar@AUSTINC.EDU>
Subject: Records for Different Formats

     My library is about to place our periodical titles on our new online
     system (Sirsi), and we've been encountering an issue that needs to be
     resolved.  Specifically, we have numerous titles that run in paper
     and, after several years, are then replaced by microfilm or
     microfiche.  We intend to show our holdings for each title and in what
     format they can found (ex. bound paper, microfiche, etc,) but are not
     sure whether to place all this information in a single record for each
     title or have separate bibliographic records for each format (ex. one
     for paper, one for fiche, etc.).

     Since I'm very new to the field of serials librarianship, I was
     wondering what other libraries have done to resolve this issue (and I
     could use some pros and cons or multiple versus single records).
     Which approach has been easier for the patrons to find specific
     volumes of journals?

     Please respond to the list or to me personally, and I will summarize
     for the list.

     Thanks very much,

     Ed Kownslar
     Government Documents/Periodicals Librarian
     Abell Library
     Austin College
     Sherman, TX 75090
     Phone:  (903) 813-2369