Multiple Record Query Responses (Ed Kownslar) Marcia Tuttle 27 Oct 1995 17:11 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 10:12:29 EST
From: ekownslar <ekownslar@AUSTINC.EDU>
Subject: Multiple Record Query Responses

     First, I got a lot of responses and really good input about whether to
     have multiple records for different formats for a single title.  My
     thanks go to everyone who responded to me or to the list.  Here's a
     summary of what was said:

     1.  Everyone indicated that a single record with notations about the
     formats and holdings within that record would probably be the best
     approach to putting our periodicals online because:

                *  This approach is much easier and less confusing for the
     library patrons; and

                *  Having two or three records for a single title can be
     confusing for the people who check in the periodicals on the system
     [and, I might add, for reference librarians]

     2.  I received two responses from librarians who suggested placing the
     data in specific MARC fields:  Fields 533 (Reproduction Note) and 534
     (Original Version Note).  Another librarian said that his library used
     the 866 field for textual holdings and field 867 for microform
     holdings.  I am definitely sitting down with our systems librarian
     (who used to be the serials librarian at Austin College, in fact) and
     discuss using these fields.  We've been debating about where to place
     format and holdings information, and this will be a good place to
     start!

     3.  One librarian said that his library keeps single records for each
     title (including print and microform) but maintains separate records
     for electronic formats.  As our library is looking into possibly
     subscribing to full-text, electronic journals, this is an issue that
     we will also have to address very soon, especially since I have been
     hearing that librarians should not eliminate all their print titles
     yet, even if they have access to the electronic versions.

     If anyone has any other comments, please feel free to send them to me
     or to the list.  As our project goes along, I may be getting in touch
     with some of the people who responded because they had very specific
     cataloging and systems suggestions.

     Thanks again to everyone for their input.

     Ed Kownslar
     Government Documents/Periodicals Librarian
     Austin College
     Sherman, TX 75090
     Email:  ekownslar@austinc.edu
     Phone:  (903) 813-2369