Re: Claiming (Kathleen Thorne) Ann Ercelawn 09 Oct 1995 18:43 UTC

Date: Mon, 09 Oct 1995 10:43:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: kathleen thorne <KATHLEEN@SJSUVM1.BITNET>
Subject: Re: Claiming

I particularly liked Di Neumeister's way of handling claims -- GREAT IDEA!!

Those of us who were at the Claremont NASIG meeting may remember the session
given by John Merriman and Dan Tonkery where various publishers and vendors
all publically stated that they "simply threw first claims in the waste
basket" because we librarians sent claims far too soon.  They particularly
targeted computer claims for discard, as they said they found many libraries
tended to claim after only a day or two rather than waiting for 25-30 days.
In fact, that was the meeting where Peter McKay (Harcourt Brace Jovanovich)
endeared himself to many librarians by stating that personally he'd rather
get the early claims and know about slow delivery.

Don't know if that is still happening, and I have nothing to do with our
acquisition/claiming here, but libraries who routinely have claims ignored
might want to recheck and be sure the claim cycle allows for an adequate
waiting period.

Kathleen Thorne
Serials Cataloger In Exile
San Jose State University