ALCTS Serials Cataloging Institute (Mitch Turitz) Ann Ercelawn 10 Oct 1995 21:48 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 14:05:06 -0700
From: Mitch Turitz <turitz@SFSU.EDU>
Subject: ALCTS Serials Cataloging in the Age of Format Integration

This past weekend, Oct. 6-7 in San Francisco, ALCTS gave its first serials
cataloging institute in 10 years (2nd if you include the Atlanta one just
a few months ago, which was a part of this).  It was a huge success with
125 people attending.  It included serials cataloging lectures and
practicum for both beginners and advanced catalogers; a public services
perspective of using serials records; breakout sessions on: cataloging
remote access serials; cataloging legal serials; cataloging CD-ROMs and
floppy disks;  and common sense cataloging for your local system.

While it will not be possible to re-create the entire cataloging institute
here, I WILL be posting the FORMAT INTEGRATION AND SERIALS talk that was
given by Jean Hirons, of the Library of Congress (there were numerous
requests for copies of it right after she gave the talk).  I have her
permission to reproduce it here and I will do so after she returns from
her honeymoon (how's that for dedication - she postponed her honeymoon to
do her presentation for ALCTS!).

so watch this space!

Personally, I would like to thank everyone involved in putting this
institute together:

Crystal Graham of UCSD; Maureen Landry of the Library of Congress;
Kristin Lindlan of the University of Washington, Seattle, WA; Jean Hirons
of the Serial Records Division of the Library of Congress; Rhonda
Lawrence of the Law Library at UCLA; Regina Reynolds of the National
Serials Data Program at the Library of Congress; Our local panelists: Liz
Ginno of CSU Hayward; Juliann Rankin of CSU Chico; Brian Schottlaender of
UCLA.

I would also like to thank Elizabeth Steinhagen of CSU Humboldt and
Yvonne McLean of ALCTS/ALA for all the behind-the-scenes stuff which made
the institute seem so flawlessly organized.

-- Mitch

  _^_                                                 _^_
( ___ )-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-( ___ )
 |   |                                               |   |
 |   |     Mitch Turitz, Serials Librarian           |   |
 |   |     San Francisco State University Library    |   |
 |   |     Internet: turitz@sfsu.edu                 |   |
   V                                                   V

  "Outsourcing is a desperate remedy for management failure,
    not the criticism of catalogers." -- Michael Gorman,
       "Crisis in Subject Cataloging and Retrieval"
          June 25, 1995, ALA Conference, Chicago