CONSER Documentation (Jean Hirons) Ann Ercelawn 19 Oct 1995 15:01 UTC

To:       Serial Colleagues
From:     Jean Hirons, Acting CONSER Coordinator, Library of
          Congress
Subject:  CONSER documentation
Date:     October 19, 1995

At the recent ALCTS Serials Institute in San Francisco, a number
of people indicated their difficulty in acquiring the CONSER
Editing Guide and CONSER Cataloging Manual.  When I returned I
spoke to several people in LC's Cataloging Distribution Service
and they assured me that there are no backorders and that they
are eager to assist.  So I wanted to let you know what is
available and provide some tips for ordering.

CONSER Editing Guide (CEG)
     1994 edition (this is a complete replacement of the earlier
          volume and all updates)  $63 (North America) $68
          (outside North America)
     Update 1  Spring 1995  (contains the definition of the core
          record for serials)
     {Update 2 Fall 1995 is at the printer and will be available
          in Dec. or Jan.}
     The 1995 update service is $35/$36.

     Note: The updates to both the CEG and CCM are annual
     subscriptions that include two updates and must be renewed
     each year.

     The CEG is a GPO depository item; the CCM is not because it
     is produced cooperatively.

CONSER Cataloging Manual (CCM)
     Base text (1993)  $60/$65
     Update 1  Spring 1994  (includes new modules for direct
          access computer files, interpreting pre-AACR2 records)
     Update 2  Fall  1994  (includes changes resulting from the
          first phase of format integration and a new module on
          microforms)
     Update 3  Spring 1995  (includes new module on remote access
          computer file serials)
     {Update 4 Fall 1995 will incorporate changes resulting from
          changes to LC rule interpretations plus a major
          revision of module 30, direct access computer files; it
          will not be available until early spring)

     Special package: Base text and 1994 updates: $110/120
     1995 update service $35/36

To order:

     -  All orders must be prepaid
     -  Do not combine orders with those going to other areas of
          the Library, such as Photoduplication Service or
          Copyright

     Send to:  Library of Congress
               Cataloging Distribution Service
               P.O. Box 75840
               Washington, DC  20013-5840

     Or: Phone 1-800-255-3666 or (202) 707-6100
          Fax (202) 707-1334  TDD: (202) 707-0012
          Internet: cdsinfo@mail.loc.gov

If you have done all of this and are still having problems,
contact Linda Gainer at: (202) 707-1289 or gainer@mail.loc.gov

If you have questions about the documents themselves, their
content, use, etc., contact me at:  (202) 707-5947 or
jhir@loc.gov

I hope this helps!

Jean Hirons