Reprint cataloging (Kevin Randall) Marcia Tuttle 01 Nov 1995 13:18 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 15:46:33 -0600
From: Kevin M. Randall <kmr@NWU.EDU>
Subject: Reprint cataloging

At Northwestern, we very rarely get reprint editions of serials that we
catalog in a separate bibliographic record.  Unfortunately, it happens to be
one of those times, and I think it's the first time that I have not found an
OCLC record for the reprint.

The publication is WORKS ISSUED BY THE HAKLUYT SOCIETY, reprinted by Kraus
Reprint.  (Why hasn't anyone else already cataloged this as a serial???)  We
did not receive the entire run, just several vols. beginning with 2nd ser.,
no. 1.  And now I find myself wondering what the intentions of AACR2, the
LCRIs, and CONSER are regarding the description.

When we are instructed to describe from the first reprinted issue, is the
idea to describe *the entire publication* or to describe *only what was
reprinted*?  My own common sense tells me that we should do the former, but
I have this feeling that the rules want us to do the latter (just because
the rules often like to go against common sense, I suppose).  We don't have
anything before 2nd ser., no. 1 in the reprint, and I don't know if Kraus
reprinted all the way back to the beginning.  But we *do* have the original,
and I would like to just copy the data from that record.  In an attempt to
follow the rules and interpretations, so far I'm left with a record for the
reprint that has no 362 and no "Description based on:" note.  And that looks
really stupid sitting right next to a fairly complete record for the original.

Perhaps I'm just missing something in reading the rules and CONSER stuff.
If anyone can help here, I would appreciate it.  Thanks!

Kevin M. Randall
Head, Serials Cataloging Section
Northwestern University Library
Evanston, IL   60208-2300