Re: Paris Match Mitch Turitz 17 Nov 1995 18:05 UTC

Rick:
  I agree with you that this title should be broken up into successive
records, but I don't like the idea of asking someone else to take on
additional workloads.

  I would recommend that instead of asking CONSER to clean up the record,
that the person who asked the question initially should create a
successive record just for the title she has and add it to OCLC as a new
record.  There should be sufficient information from the latest entry
record to be able to create at least a minimal record (hopefully more if
she has the pieces in hand).  Unfortunately this will probably require a
uniform title qualifier to differentiate it from the earlier title.

-- Mitch

On Thu, 16 Nov 1995, Enrique E. Gildemeister wrote:

> Looking at records for Paris Match, I came across a latest entry record
> which includes a lot of confusing stuff, #30745023. A lot of the confusion
> may have begun with the earlier title varying; maybe also, there was a
> hesitancy to treat it as a title change because they were moving away from
> latest entry? (I wasn't a serials cataloger then, but I had a student aide
> job where all I did was seek out title changes in NST (Ugh!).

<snip>

> I hope someone from CONSER who owns this title will take
> up the burden of breaking it down. Sometimes you have to wait, as my trainer
> said, "until you see the whites of its eyes". I'm posting this to the list
> because I found that little defect very troublesome, and I suspect others may
> at some time be faced with this type of problem, too. New York Public,
> you deserve accolades, because your photographed card catalog often had the
> serial main card which gave the issues checked in, with the right title, so
you
> could sometimes verify it quite nicely, with 99.44% chance of being "right"!

> * Rick Gildemeister                                               *
> * Head of Cataloging/OCLC Enhance Coordinator                     *
> * Lehman College, CUNY                                            *
> *                            "Facilis descensus Averno"           *
> * Voice: (718) 960-7773                                           *
> * Fax:   (718) 960-8952                                           *
> * BITNET:    eeglc@cunyvm                                         *
> * Internet:  eeglc@cunyvm.cuny.edu                                *

  _^_                                                 _^_
( ___ )-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-( ___ )
 |   |                                               |   |
 |   |     Mitch Turitz, Serials Librarian           |   |
 |   |     San Francisco State University Library    |   |
 |   |     Internet: turitz@sfsu.edu                 |   |
   V                                                   V

"Before the beginning of great brillance, there must be chaos.
     Before a brilliant person begins something great,
           they must look foolish to the crowd."
                    -- from the I Ching