Re: Gordon & Breach Cancellation Policy (2 messages) Birdie MacLennan 21 Nov 1995 17:14 UTC

2 messages, 49 lines:

(1)-------------------------
Date:         Tue, 21 Nov 1995 07:59:22 CST
From:         Donna Lively <LIVELY@LIBRARY.UTA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Gordon & Breach Cancellation Policy

Gordon and Breach's policy doesn't surprise me at all.  They may not
even publish a volume until they have a certain amount of orders for
it, which might explain why so many of their titles are "behind in
publication."  This cancellation policy probably just reflects their
unwillingness to take any kind of financial risk at all by trying to
prevent anyone from cancelling something they went ahead and produced
because they already had the money for it.  They probably
consider that money already spent.

The problem with the way they operate, if I have indeed hit it, is
that implicit in the subscription "deal" is the promise that one will
get the product on the frequency advertised during the year one has
paid for.  Gorden and Breach unfortunately see no such promise.  We
have waited as long as 18 months beyond the paid for subscription
period for Gordon and Breach to finally publish what we paid for.

Donna Lively
Lively@library.uta.edu

(2)-----------------------
Date:         Tue, 21 Nov 1995 09:07:50 CST
From:         "L. Hunter Kevil" <MULKEVIL@MIZZOU1.MISSOURI.EDU>

Roberta,

Thanks for alerting us to G&B's newest scam. Other publishers, even
the greediest, will refund duplicate payments without a 15% penalty.
G&B is once again showing its true colors.

This morning I discovered that G&B, using its Harwood imprint, had
bought another East German title, _Asien, Afrika, Lateinamerika_. We
used to get this on exchange from Karl-Marx Universitaet. If we were
to continue to receive this title, the annual cost would be about $750.

Hunter Kevil
Head of Serials
University of Missouri-Columbia
<MULKEVIL@MIZZOU1.MISSOURI.EDU>