Re: Mutilated Materials (2 messages) Ann Ercelawn 27 Nov 1995 14:05 UTC

2 messages:
_____

Date: Fri, 24 Nov 1995 13:58:35 -1000
From: Carol Schaafsma <carols@HAWAII.EDU>
Subject: Re: Mutilated Materials (Joan Kammerer)

Just as you report, we USED TO make every attempt to acquire the missing
material to replace it.  However, this year our dismal budget picture
coupled with staff shortages has led us to change our practice.  When the
mutilation is discovered we annotate the material and date it.  We then
offer to obtain the material through ILL if the patron wants/needs it.
If the patron requests ILL we do our best to oblige--at no fee, although
normally we have a charge for ILL.  When the material is obtained, we
give the borrowed item to the patron.

A variation is that a staff member may determine that the item is likely
to be required frequently, in which case we borrow via ILL and tip the
photocopy in.  In that case, the staff member's collection development
funds are charged for the ILL.  The scarcity of these funds mean that the
staff member must be VERY judicious in making these requests.

Carol Schaafsma
Coordinator of Collection Support Services
University of Hawaii Libraries

carols@hawaii.edu
Phone: 808-956-2473
FAX:   808-956-5968

_______

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 08:28:07 -0500
From: ALI00MER@UNCCVM.UNCC.EDU (Meg Robinson Arnold)

>Hello SERIALSTers
>
>I know that this library is not alone when it comes to experiencing
>mutilation of journals and monographs, i.e. pages or whole
>articles/chapters razored out of a volume.  What do you do when this
>violation is discovered?

**
This all depends on the number of pages, whether its a monograph or a
periodical, already bound or still current, etc.  Generally, if the
mutilated volume is a monograph, the volume is sent to our gifts librarian,
who decides whether or not it's worth replacing the pages, then the pages
are ordered through interlibrary loan and either tipped in within the
library, or sent to the commercial bindery to be rebound. (I forgot to say
that if the volume is not deemed worthy of repair it is either replaced or
withdrawn, depending on its importance to the collection.)  In the case of
periodicals, if the issue has not yet been bound and the pages have already
been ripped out, the issue comes to me as bindery supervisor, and I order a
replacement from the publisher, or USBE, or wherever one might be available.
If the volume is bound, it goes to our serials order assistant, who either
orders the pages from interlibrary loan, if the number of pages is small
enough to tip them in (less than 8 leaves), or gives them to me to order a
replacement issue, so that the volume can be rebound.  Of course, in all
cases, if a replacement issue can't be obtained from the various sources,
the pages are ordered from interlibrary loan and bound (or rebound) in.
If an entire issue from a periodical is missing, and all our sources are
exhausted, we will bind the volume as incomplete, with a sheet stating what
is missing bound in the place of the missing issue, but as long as what's
missing is just pages, they are replaced, in one way or another.

Hope this is what you were looking for - oh, we're a medium size academic
library (campus has @15,000 students),state-funded, commercial binder is
Heckman.

Margaret Robinson Arnold
Bindery Supervisor         ali00mer@email.uncc.edu
Atkins Library                 (00 = zero zero)
UNC Charlotte                ph:704-547-2127
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte NC  28223-0001