Re: Journal Publication Questions (Patricia Collins) Ann Ercelawn 28 Nov 1995 19:20 UTC

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 09:04:19 -0700
From: Patricia M Collins <patricia@SELWAY.UMT.EDU>
Subject: Re: Journal Publication Questions (Miles Wimer)

Our library subscribes to Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions AND we
have an automated serial checkin module.  Check in works best when there
is a volume AND a number, i.e., v.9 no.1, v.9 no.2, etc.  The month
indication does not matter if the journal is published on a regular
basis.  The claiming will be set by how often the journal is recieved.
In this case, if it is published every 9 weeks, then the claiming would
be set to claim after 9 or 10 weeks.  The claim would be for the volume
and number missed.  If we received v.9 no.5 and then 9-10 weeks later did
not receive v. 9 no.6, we would claim for it.  It does help for the
publication itself to have the number of issues predicted for the year
written inside the journal where the issn, subscription information is
printed.

This library would like to be able to obtain back issues at least five
years old.  It is great to be able to get a really old issues when one
has been vandalized, but understand the inventorying problem.

I hope this helps.  It is terrific for a publisher to be concerned how
libraries check in and claim publications.  So many journals have
"mysterious" publication patterns and voluming!

Patricia M. Collins
Mansfield Library
Serials
University of Montana