Re: Journal Publication Questions (2 messages) Ann Ercelawn 29 Nov 1995 14:18 UTC

2 messages:
____

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 14:25:58 CST6CDT
From: June Breland <JBRELAND@LIBRARY.MSSTATE.EDU>
Subject: Re: Journal Publication Questions (Patricia Collins)

Our automated system works best if the month of publication is
included on the cover.  An indication in the journal of the number of
issues and what months they will be published helps prevent false
claims.

June Breland                Internet: jbreland@library.msstate.edu
Coordinator, Acquisition Services              phone: 601-325-7672
Mitchell Memorial Library                        fax: 601-325-3560
P.O. Box 9570
Mississippi State University
Mississippi State, MS 39762

______

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 14:15:03 -0800
From: AALGIER@SCUACC.SCU.EDU
Subject: publisher questions

Miles,

I would like to thank you for considering the cataloging of a serial
before determining its publication pattern. If all publishers were
as thoughtful, it would make our jobs alot easier.

I want to just mention that it is better to include months, rather
than leave them off, even if the increments are irregular. Technically,
we cannot include a chronology unless it is "balanced" with the
enumeration. If there are two levels of enumeration such as volume
and number, there MUST be two levels of chronology (month and year)
to include in the bibliographic description. Even though some
catalogers include the year even when there is no month (as in the
case of many Elsevier publications) technically we need a "balanced"
numeric designation.

Aimee Algier
Serials Coordinator
Santa Clara University