Holdings for Serials Reprints (David Howard) Ann Ercelawn 29 Nov 1995 19:18 UTC

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 12:18:47 -0500
From: David Howard <DHOWARD@DLU.EDU>
Subject: Holdings for serials reprints

We are adding holdings for each of our 1900+ titles, so that this information
will display in a "Note" on the initial record screen at the OPAC.  For many
titles we have part of our holdings in reprint editions and part in the
original editions.  For example, for Modern Fiction Studies we have v. 1-4;
1955-1959 in reprint and v. 5-   ; 1959-     in original.  Two MARC records
for MFS are in our system (Gaylord's Galaxy) - one for the reprint edition and
one for the original.  Our question is: what holdings should we attach to
these records, so that our patrons will benefit most from the information
they find displayed at the OPAC?  If for the original edition record, we show
(staying with MFS) v. 5-   ; 1959-     and this is the only record a patron
looks at, then it will appear that we do not have v. 1-4.  Should we attach
all holdings to the original edition record and ignore the reprint edition
record or attach all holdings to both records or toatally delete the reprint
edition record?

Could other libraries please tell us what they have done in a similar
situation.

David Howard, Serials Librarian
Lipscomb University Library
Nashville, TN 37204