Re: Shelving JAMA (2 messages) Ann Ercelawn 30 Nov 1995 19:05 UTC

2 messages:
_____

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 09:36:02 -0500
From: "Geraldine H. Wescott" <wescott@LYCO.LYCOMING.EDU>
Subject: Re: Shelving JAMA (Meg Matthes)

Meg

We shelve JAMA at the beginning of the J's. We have a periodicals
holdings list generated by a computer and in order for it to alphabetize
the titles the way we want it to, we have to put a period after each
letter of an acronym - J.A.M.A.

We explain to the patrons that they will find the titles on the shelves
exactly the same way they are in the Per. Hold. List.  We explain about
acronyms and they *still* can't find titles.  JAMA is notorious because
it *was* Journal of the American Medical Ass'n for a while. I usually
cheerfully walk them to the right place.  Saves a lot of breath and I
think of it as healthy exercise.  I usually tell people not to waste
their precious research time getting frustrated trying to find a title.
Come get me and I'll be glad to help, that's why I'm there,
blah-blah-blah :)

*  Gerre Wescott-Periodicals Technician       <wescott@lycoming.edu>    *
*  Lycoming College                           voice - 717-321-4089      *
*  Snowden Library                            fax   - 717-321-4090      *
*  700 College Place                          campus box #141           *
*  Williamsport PA 17701-5192                 "Dux femina facti"        *

_______

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 11:09:27 -0500 (EST)
From: jgriffin@OPAL.TUFTS.EDU

Just wanted to give you some moral support---
We handle JAMA in the same fashion as you do and for the same reasons. It
seems to work fine.

JoAnne Griffin
Tufts Health Sciences Library