Excessive Skin Dryness - Fingers and Serials Work (5 messages) Birdie MacLennan 13 Nov 1995 17:21 UTC

5 messages, 89 lines:

(1)-------------------------
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 07:34:03 -0800 (PST)
From:  Brenda Grasmick <mtlawbg@CLASS.ORG>
Subject: Re: Excessive Skin Dryness - Fingers and Serials Work (4 messages)

This is not a joke...my hands get dry from my serials work as well as
from working in stained glass....the only thing I have found to
work is the vaseline treatment....as someone stated....I glob it
on at night and wear cotton gloves all night (or for as long as I can
stand them)!

Brenda Grasmick     mtlawbg@class.org
Technical Services Librarian
State Law Library of Montana
Voice: (406) 444-3660

(2)--------------------------
Date:         Mon, 13 Nov 1995 08:42:47 -0500
From:         Linda Rosenstein <rosensteinl@A1.MSCF.UPENN.EDU>
Subject:      dryness

The stuff alluded to for dryness is an ointment called "bag balm"
manufactured by Dairy Asso., Lyndonville, Vt.  It is an antiseptic
substance.  I believe the "bag" refers to udder.  You may be able to
locate it in a pharmacy.  You will certainly be able to locate it in
a quilting store.

Linda Rosenstein
RosensteinL@a1.mscf.upenn.edu
Biomedical Library, University of Pennsylvania

(3)-----------------------
Date:         Mon, 13 Nov 1995 09:31:37 EST
From:         Alice Marksberry <ALMARK00@UKCC.UKY.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Skin Dryness

The "cow lotion" that has been mentioned on the list is called
"BAG BALM" (I think that is the correct spelling) and is pronounced
BAG BOMB........It is available from any agricultural store such as
Amway or Southern States Coop's.  It is used to treat winter-time
chapness and cracking of dairy cow udders, as udders are composed
of delicate layers of skin and tissue that suffer when exposed to
winter like conditions.  As mentioned, the product is great for
chapped hands (feet, arms, etc....) and also great for leather
materials as well.  CORN HUSKERS lotion is another great brand for
the same problems.

I can recommend the above because of past experience.  I am the daughter
of a retired dairy farmer and know all about the rigors and strains of
bad weather and cracked hands and how the two above products would
definitely be of help.  Good luck.

Alice Marksberry
almark00@ukcc.uky.edu
Univ of Kentucky

(4)----------------------
Date:         Sat, 11 Nov 1995 13:50:40 -0500
From:         Ron Curtis <RCURTIS%smtpgate@AIX1.UCOK.EDU>
Subject:      Excessive Skin Dryness - Fingers and Ser

No one has said about the odor this product has, if it is the
product I'm thinking of.  One has to get used to it.  The product
comes in a square, mostly green, metal can.

Ron Curtis
 <RCURTIS%smtpgate@AIX1.UCOK.EDU>

(5)---------------------
Date:     Mon, 13 Nov 1995 11:34:03 EST
From:     Birdie MacLennan <BMACLENN@UVMVM>
Subject:  Re: Excessive Skin Dryness ...

Yes, Bag Balm is the ointment sold in a "square, mostly green metal
can."  It is a Vermont product and, here in Vermont, I've seen it
sold in drug stores, agricultural stores, hardware stores, the local
quilt/arts & crafts shops, general stores, and sundry tourist shops.
I'm sure there's probably a way to mail order it!

I've not tried it for dried hands and serials work (preferring some
of the more herbal kinds of hand lotions and creams, personally).
However, I have heard many folks extol the virtues of Bag Balm's
healing properties for chapped or dry skin ... and udders, too!

    Birdie MacLennan
    Serials Coordinator          bmaclenn@uvmvm.uvm.edu
    University of Vermont        bmaclenn@moose.uvm.edu