Re: Journals Inflation (Kathleen Thorne) Marcia Tuttle 29 Jan 1996 18:08 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 09:37:39 PST
From: Kathleen Thorne <KATHLEEN@SJSUVM1.BITNET>
Subject: Re: Journals Inflation (2 messages)

Regarding Ted's reply to Keith's memo:  Exactly!!  I remember bringing
that up at the serials pricing meeting at ALA, SF a few years ago and
asking what steps publishers/vendors were taking to avoid becoming 20th
century dinosaurs (or Studebakers!) ... there was no reply, and my various
publisher/vendor friends afterwards said that was a question they had NOT
wanted to have any of us raise.  Now I think we're ALL asking about it.

To take the same equation and turn it around the other way: does that mean
if a publisher has a journal costing $1000, with a subscription list of 25
libraries, and suddenly 25 MORE libraries subscribe, will that bring the
price down to $500?  That seems only fair, if fewer subscriptions means a
raise in price to cover costs... or will we still see a $1000 price, with
the publisher simply making a lovely lot of lolly??

Do I sound cynical?  I don't mean to, I'm just curious,...

Kathleen Thorne
Serials Cataloger in Exile
San Jose State Univ.   kathleen@sjsuvm1.sjsu.edu