Institutional & personal subscriptions (3 messages) Birdie MacLennan 27 Feb 1996 17:33 UTC

3 messages, 93 lines:

(1)------------------------
Date:         Mon, 26 Feb 1996 13:04:00 -0800
From:         David_Fisher@UCSDLIBRARY.UCSD.EDU
Comments: To: lib_wendie@BOOKS.VITERBO.EDU, SERIALST@UVMVM.UVM.EDU

Responding to Wendy Edwards who wrote...

           Subject: sub. price

..... Do any other libraries have policies concerning this issue?  Do you
know where I can find legal information on this topic?  Are there any articles
published that address this concern?  Any help you can provide, even anecdotal,
would be much appreciated.

email:  lib_wendie@viterbo.edu

Wendy:

          One of the first pieces of documentation that comes to mind
          is the "Principles & Standards of Acquisitions Practice", 12
          statements of principle published as an outgrowth of the
          ALCTS Publisher/Vendor Relations Committee meeting in Miami
          in June, 1994. To paraphrase this document it speaks to,
          among other things, concepts of honesty, truth and fairness
          in buying/selling; promoting fair, ethical, and legal trade
          practices; sharp practice; and establishing practical and
          efficient methods..., all of which go against what this
          trustee was proposing.

          David (Dave) Fisher    e-mail <dfisher@ucsd.edu>
          Head,Acquisitions
          Scripps Institution of Oceanography Library
          9500 GILMAN DRIVE DEPT 0175C
          La Jolla,CA 92093-0175

(2)----------------------------
Date:         Mon, 26 Feb 1996 16:54:04 -0500
From:         "Teri M. Vogel" <vogel_tm@MERCER.EDU>

Wendie,
        I've glanced at a number of subscription rates in our journals and
have noticed that there is often a price difference between individual and
institution rates.  The difference can be significant, but not enough to
have the journals come in my name.  As an individual you probably wouldn't
be able to use a subscription service, which means every subscription is
an individual renewal and invoice to monitor, which means more staff.  I
would certainly be uncomfortable paying our subscriptions (at $10-$800
each) and having to wait for reimbursement from our slow accounting
office.  As for the legality of what the Trustee is suggesting, I'm not
sure.  I could not quote you a specific law this violates (copyright,
maybe), but it 'feels' illegal, it's certainly unethical, and it is
something I would never consider.

  *  Teri M. Vogel                                (W) vogel_tm@mercer.edu   *
  *  Periodicals Supervisor                        Voice:  770.986.3276     *
  *  Mercer University Atlanta                       Fax:  770.986.3270     *
  *  3001 Mercer University Drive                                           *
  *  Atlanta, GA 30341               This week's film: Rumble in the Bronx  *
  *                                  This week's book: Crime & Punishment   *

(3)-------------------------
Date:         Mon, 26 Feb 1996 21:57:08 -0500
From:         Craig Fairley <fairley@TAP.NET>

This is not a legal opinion, but I  think you are looking at fraud if this
is being done to circumvent differential pricing for individuals.  I'm sure
any publisher with such a pricing practice would be pleased to give you all
the legal backing you need!   I would also not want to be *personally*
liable for the money. What if the "arrangement" is not honoured by the next
board?  Who gets stuck?  At the last institution I worked in, there was a
strict policy of NOT allowing this practice.  It was felt to be an
invitation to embezzlement (nothing personal, I assure you) and conflict of
interest, among other things.

Craig Fairley
Information Dynamics
2165 Margot Street
Oakville, Ontario
Canada
L6H 3M5
(905) 842-1406

"Services in Information and Process Management"