Re: Physics and Chemistry of the Earth (2 messages) Birdie MacLennan 08 Feb 1996 17:33 UTC

2 messages, 72 lines:

(1)------------------------
Date:         Thu, 8 Feb 1996 12:21:35 EST
From:         Kay Teel <TEELK@ELMER1.BOBST.NYU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Physics and Chemistry of the Earth -- request for info

Ahhh, this is why I love SERIALST. I received a reply to my
questions regarding _Physics and Chemistry of the Earth_ less than 24
hours later! (Thank you, Fran!)

The upshot is (and the info came from Elsevier):

* There is indeed a Publisher's Note in Vol. 20, no. 1 explaining the
changes in format.

* The title is now being prepared in conjunction with the European
Geophysical Society, publishing papers from their annual assemblies.

* Because of the switch to publishing papers/proceedings, it was felt
by the publisher best to change its format from hardback to softcover.

* They hope to publish the title more frequently and to a more
regular schedule (the Elsevier response didn't indicate a frequency,
though).

Exactly the information I needed, so that's one less thing sitting on
my desk.

Thanks again, SERIALST!

--Kay Teel
  Serials Cataloger
  Elmer Holmes Bobst Library
  New York University
  teelk@elmer1.bobst.nyu.edu

(2)------------------------
Date:         Thu, 8 Feb 1996 11:53:39 -0500
From:         Joanne Kuhn <jkuhn@LIBRARY.UWATERLOO.CA>

  Although we cancelled this title after vol. 19 our catalogue record
shows that the first 9 volumes didn't carry distinctive titles and we
began analyzing with v. 10.; v. 12 also didn't carry a distinctive title.
Thus our treatment of this title is as a partially analyzed series. Since
v. 20 doesn't have a distinctive title either I would say the publisher
is continuing with earlier practice.

  Our check-in record shows that v. 17 and 18 were also issued in parts;
v. 17 pt. 1 issued in 1990, v. 17 pt. 2 issued 1991; v. 18 pt. 1-2 issued
in 1991, v. 18 pt. 3-6 issued in 1992; v. 19 pt.1-6 in one v. issued in 1992.
It would appear that frequency is still irregular.

  Hope this helps.

Joanne Kuhn, Head, Serials Cataloguing Unit
Dana Porter Library, University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario Canada N2L 3G1
Tel: (519) 885-1211 x6862
FAX: (519) 746-1758
EMAIL: jkuhn@library.uwaterloo.ca

On Wed, 7 Feb 1996, Kay Teel wrote:

> Pardon this cataloging question, but I'm hoping someone will know
> what's going on with the title _Physics and Chemistry of the
> Earth_ (pub. Pergamon; ISSN 0079-1946) ....

  <remainder of quoted text deleted.  -ed.>