EDI question (Mitch Turitz) Marcia Tuttle 22 Mar 1996 21:57 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 13:36:28 -0800
From: Mitch Turitz <turitz@SFSU.EDU>
Subject: EDI question

I have question regarding EDI (Electronic Data Interface):

Is anyone using EDI for your ILS (Integrated Library System) AND
receiving OCLC bibliographic records?  That is, are you electronically
sending out your purchase orders electronically to a vendor, and having
the vendor also supply you with the OCLC bibliographic records?  If so, I
would be interested in the details of how this works.  Can you give me
the citation(s) of any articles on the subject.

I am not just interested in the electronic sending of purchase orders,
but also the workflow which includes receipt of the materials along with
bibliographic records from the vendor or OCLC.  That is, upon receipt of
the books, you either also received electronically the bibliographic
records for them, or they were given to you on tape for loading into your
local system so that you did not have to search OCLC for bibliographic
records.  Including barcodes, call numbers, spine labels, etc.

If anyone is doing this, please let me know.  If you know of any articles
on this subject, please let me know.

Thank you.

Mitch

  _^_                                                 _^_
 |   |     Mitch Turitz, Serials Librarian           |   |
 |   |     San Francisco State University Library    |   |
 |   |     Internet: turitz@sfsu.edu                 |   |
   V                                                   V
       Rule #1: Don't sweat the small stuff.
       Rule #2: It's ALL small stuff.