Re: Volume Statistics (Victoria Swinney) Ann Ercelawn 07 Mar 1996 19:35 UTC

Date: Thu, 07 Mar 1996 11:45:45 -0600 (CST)
From: Victoria Swinney <vswinney@CUOK.CAMERON.EDU>
Subject: Re: Volume Statistics (Barbara Rauch)

Barbara and other Serialsters,

We have recently grappled with the statistics problem too.  We did a physical
count of volumes on the shelf for everything we keep and used stand in number
of items which are withdrawn at set intervals.  That is, if we keep 3 years
(3 volumes), we just count it as 3 and do not count newly arriving issues.
We also add to the count when volumes return from the bindery or arrive on
microfilm.

Our questions were more on the interpretation of ACRL statistics guidelines.
How many volumes is one year and volume of a journal bound in 12 bindings, for
example?  How many volumes is it if it is on microfilm on 2 reels?

I would love to hear how others count their collections and how they report
these numbers for accrediting reports and IPEDS.

     /\  /\            Victoria K. Swinney
 /\ /  \/  \           Serials/Reference/Bibliographic Instruction Librarian
/  /   /    \          vswinney@cameron.edu
Cameron University     2800 W. Gore Blvd.    voice:   (405) 581-2960
Library                Lawton, OK 73505      fax:     (405) 581-2386
***********This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will************
***************rejoice and be glad in it.  (Psalm 118:24)***************