Re: Supplements (fwd) Marcia Tuttle 20 Mar 1996 00:04 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 14:34:08 CST
From: Donna Lively <LIVELY@LIBRARY.UTA.EDU>
To: Multiple recipients of list SEREDIT <SEREDIT@uvmvm.uvm.edu>
Subject: Re: Supplements

Our current practice in handling supplements to
periodicals, after the decision has been made to add them to the
collection, is to search them in OCLC and download the appropriate
records if available.  Then if one is a serial we set it up with an
order pay receipt record in our NOTIS system and assume that it will
continue to come.  If it stops coming it pops up on our expired
action list, just like our regular periodicals, and at that point we
are faced with the decision of claiming it or not.  Many times the
frequency for this supplement will be "irregular" or even "unknown."
Meanwhile the periodical or journal it supposedly "comes with" is
being received as it should be.

We spend a lot time tracking down and  investigating why supplements
no longer appear.  If we ever manage to find out anything it
is often that they are no longer being published or they are being
bound with the periodical or whatever.  I wonder, do we do more than
we should with these things?  How are they handled by Serials
processing in other libraries?  Is it considered important to track
down a supplement's publication status if the main title is
being received with no problem?  Does anyone out there have a
grip on this thing?  I'd appreciate any words of wisdom or even
commiseration anyone may have.

Thank you

Donna Lively
Lively@library.uta.edu