Re: Promoting Serials Collections (Lillian Gassie) Ann Ercelawn 18 Apr 1996 18:54 UTC

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 11:08:54 -0500
From: Gassie Lillian W <wxw9898@USL.EDU>
Subject: Re: Promoting Serials Collection (Muriel Godbout)

You may want to consider the use of an indexing service like UnCover.  At our
university, this is available on the gopher menu.  Library patrons do
remote searching for articles, and then come to the library to look for the
serials (we do ILL for titles not wo owned).  At a previous library I worked
we found a tremendous surge of serials usage after we began a SDI (selective
dissemination of information) service for our corporate patrons (fee paying
members of the university library).  This was implemented by the reference
staff with help from the serials librarian.

Lillian Woon Gassie
Technical Services Librarian
U. of Southwestern Louisiana
woon@usl.edu