Re: Vendor Discounts (2 messages) Ann Ercelawn 19 Apr 1996 13:21 UTC

2 messages:
______

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 17:03:18 -0500 (EST)
From: Suzanne Druehl <SDRUEHL@everest.acpl.lib.in.us>
Subject: Re: Vendor Discounts (Maggie Hite)

I don't see a problem with revealing the discount.  The problem is
that the price of one journal should not determine the selection of a
vendor.  Vendors negotiate discounts based on the client's entire
list and not just one title.

> Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 16:31:06 +0400
> From: Maggie Hite <maghite@EMAIL.UNC.EDU>
> Subject: vendor discount question
>
> Librarians and Vendors,
>         Am I making a big deal out of nothing? I had a person call from
> another library. He was deciding which vendor to transfer a journal to.
> He asked who our vendor was and what price we were paying for that
> title. I felt it was probably unethical to tell him what our discount
> was with that vendor. I asked him for his name and said I'd get back to
> him.
>         On the one hand, the library community definately needs to
> communicate more on prices and serials pricing issues. But on the other
> hand, do I have a responsibility to our vendor to NOT make public our
> privately negotiated discount? I'd really like to hear from librarians
> and vendors on this.
>         Please note that if this wasn't about vendors and their
> discounts I'd obviously have helped him with the price from the
> publisher, subscription address, etc.
>         Thanks, Maggie
>
> ********* FREE THE BOUND PERIODICALS**************
>
> Maggie Hite                      EMAIL Margaret_Hite@unc.edu
> Public Services Coordinator      PHONE 919/962-1067
> Serials Department, CB#3938      FAX     919/962-4450
> Davis Library, UNC-CH
> Chapel Hill, NC 27514-8890

Suzanne Druehl                            Allen County Public Library
Acquisitions Services Manager             PO Box 2270
219-424-7241 ext 2236                     900 Webster St.
219-422-9688 fax                          Ft. Wayne IN 46801-2270

_____

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 08:58:23 -0400
From: Scott Wicks <sbw2@CORNELL.EDU>

Maggie:

While I see no ethical issue with your disclosure of the discount/service
charge arrangements you have with your vendors, such data is irrelevent to
your colleague.  What I pay as a service charge or receive as a discount is
dependent on my mix of orders.

A more relevant issue your colleague may wish to explore with you is
quality of service.  Discounts and service charges are only as good as the
service accompanying them.

My $0.02.

--Scott

PS:  Spring has finally arrived in upstate New York...well, for today, anyway.

                  Scott B. Wicks           ***
              Acquisitions Librarian     ***
            Cornell University Library ***
                110A Olin Library    ***