Re: Virtual Holdings (2 messages) Ann Ercelawn 19 Apr 1996 20:42 UTC

2 messages:
_____

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 13:31:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: Susan Davis <UNLSDB@UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU>
Subject: Re: Virtual Holdings (Charles Oates)

At the University at Buffalo, we have begun to address these issues
as follows:

For truly "electronic" publications--

We have created a region within the Libraries homepage for electronic
journals.  We are basically applying the same criteria for inclusion
as for purchasing print materials.  Selectors can request that we
purchase titles, or add those which are free.  Right now, we are
including only titles which provide full-text (pretty much), not
those which only provide tables of contents.

We catalog the titles in our OPAC, providing the 538 and 856, even
though our catalog cannot link to the site.

This region has links to the actual homepage of the journal.  I
invite you to search our region.  The URL for our libraries homepage is:
http://wings.buffalo.edu/libraries/
Then click on the online resources box, select electronic journals
(not electronic subscriptions).  or to connect directly:
http://wings.buffalo.edu/libraries/e-resources/ejournals/

For other types of electronic materials:

We only subscribe to one full text CD-ROM service, General Periodicals
Ondisc. We have added holdings for these journals to our OPAC.  We show
the holdings as open-ended (although the rest of our holdings are
Level 4) unless we are notified that coverage has stopped, in which
case we close the holdings.  We work from lists provided annualy
by UMI.

I hope the readers of SERIALST will find this information useful.

Susan Davis                           BITNET: UNLSDB@UBVM
Head, Periodicals                   INTERNET: UNLSDB@UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU
Central Technical Services             PHONE: (716) 645-2784
Lockwood Library Bldg.                   FAX: (716) 645-5955
State University of NY at Buffalo
BUFFALO, NY  14260-2200

_____

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 15:14:47 -0400 (EDT)