Binding query (4 messages) Birdie MacLennan 24 Apr 1996 17:52 UTC

4 messages, 69 lines:

(1)-------------------------
Date:         Wed, 24 Apr 1996 08:08:13 -0500
From:         Felecia Clifton <clifton@PLAINS.NODAK.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Binding query

On Tue, 23 Apr 1996, Joy A. Kingsolver wrote:

> We have some serials which start their volume numbering in the middle of the
> calendar year--issue number one might be the July issue, for example.
> I was wondering how other librarians have the bindery label these. Do you
> put years on the spine as a guide for patrons, even though the volume does
> not include the whole calendar year?
>
> I am preparing my first bindery order. Any comments or tips would be most
> welcome!

We do add the year to the spine of the volume.  What happens is that we
end up having volume 1, 1991/92, volume 2, 1992/93, etc.

Felecia Clifton
University of North Dakota

"The only tyrant I accept in this world is the 'still small voice' within"
                                                                Gandhi

(2)-------------------------
Date:         Tue, 23 Apr 1996 19:37:29 +0000
From:         Carolyn Gaswick <CGASWICK@ALPHA.ALBION.EDU>

To make the situation as clear as we cam for patrons we include both years
on the spine.

Carolyn Gaswick
Albion College

(3)-------------------------
Date:         Wed, 24 Apr 1996 09:37:51 -0500
From:         Marnie Hubbard <HUBBARDM@WARTBURG.EDU>

Our library labels the spine with the volume number, months, and year.
For example, Vol.50, July -June, 1995-96, or July 1995-June 1996.

Marnie Hubbard
Serials/Cataloging Assistant
Wartburg College
Waverly, Iowa

(4)--------------------------
Date:         Wed, 24 Apr 1996 08:07:12 -0700
From:         Mayer Carol <carolm@OSPREY.CSRV.UIDAHO.EDU>

If the volume being bound is complete, we just use volume number and
years.  If it is a partial volume, we also use months and, if it is a
science journal, page numbers.  Aren't they fun though?  Especially when
they change the starting months from year to year.  Enjoy?

        Carol Mayer            Periodicals Service Center
        Phone: (208)885-5831   University of Idaho Library
        Fax: (208)885-6817     Moscow, Idaho   83843
                   carolm@osprey.csrv.uidaho.edu
        C.J.'s Maxim:  Get down on your knees and worship
                       me before the line gets too long.