Re: Manuscript serials and format integration Joe Orth 25 Apr 1996 17:54 UTC

     Forgive me if this has already been answered, the server which
     accesses the internet for us has had problems these last several days.

     I thought this was part of the reason for format integration.  The
     main format would be mixed materials, possibly even allowing archival
     control.  Then one could add an 006 for the "seriality" of the item.
     Having cut my teeth on OCLC, I tend to think of serials only as
     published items.

     With format integration I don't see the "exclusion of options" you
     mention in your message.  If you add the serial 006 you can use it as
     a search qualifier as well.  Am I all washed up here?

     Joe Orth
     Technical Services Librarian
     317 Potter Stewart U.S. Courthouse
     Cincinnati, Ohio  45202
     (513) 684-2678             fax (513) 684-6332
     jorth@ck6.uscourts.gov

Subject: Manuscript serials and format integration
Author:  Frieda Rosenberg <friedat@EMAIL.UNC.EDU>
Date:    4/23/96 4:45 PM

Serialist colleagues,

Here's a question of definition arising from my own recent query to
Serialist.  The question is: Can a serial, defined as "a *publication*
in any medium..." be a manuscript?  OCLC has said no--since serials are
"publications" they cannot also be manuscripts....[snip]...

I know it's really all one format.  But OCLC's exclusion of options is the
wrong way to handle a process (format integration) that was supposed to
make all codes available for all materials.   Besides, many systems
allow limitation by format or even (though I'm not advocating it)
segregate serials from monographs in two different files.

Thanks for your input,
Frieda Rosenberg
Serials Cataloger
UNC-Chapel Hill