Re: value of collection (fwd) John Lucas 29 Apr 1996 17:16 UTC

Mitch:

When I arrived at my present institution, the library had recently completed
a determination of the value of the collection.  The library had developed a
chart of "serials average price per title by general subject"  As a medical
library, most of our broad subjects are medical but we also subjects of a
general nature, (ie) chemistry, biochemistry, etc.  The subject was broken
down in groups from 1900-1930, 1931-1945, then in 5 year groups going up to
1993.  This chart was used to give us our initial evaluation.  The earlier,
the year, the smaller the dollar amount.

Also, I have copies of the "Faxon price guide" almost complete from 1974-to
date which we keep. When I get "new" volumes as gifts, or through duplicate
lists, I add the value as the "original price" of the publication when it
was issued.  If that is not available, I try the Faxon guides if applicable,
then our chart of average prices.

Each year, administration adds the journal subscription invoices, any
backfile dealer invoices, the "gift volumes" and then deletes volumes of any
titles that we keep for a finite number of years.  The value of those titles
is taken from the information in the issue as to the cost for that year.

John Lucas
Serials Librarian
University of Mississippi Medical Center
Rowland Medical Library
Jackson, MS 39216-4505

FAX.               (601) 984 - 1262
TEL.               (601) 984 - 1277