Re: Serials Holding Lists (Tom McFarland) Ann Ercelawn 12 Apr 1996 14:24 UTC

Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 08:21:22 -0400
From: Tom McFarland <mcfarlan@WINNIE.FIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: Serial Holdings Lists (Deborah Harrell)

We are currently maintaining several holdings lists which we hope
eventually to combine to only two.  The OCLC holdings we maintain as part
of the Central Florida Library Cooperative.  These are printed in both a
union list and a list for the individual libraries.  There is some talk
of emiminating the printed products, but the maintenance will continue.
We also maintain holdings records in Notis, but without SAS reporting we
cannot print off holdings lists, so we keep two seperate PC based lists,
one that has title, academic department, price, etc. (not a holdings
list) which we use for faculty review of subscriptions and the like; the
other is a listing that we use to monitor usage of current issues.  We
are migrating to SIRSI and hope to eliminate at least one of the PC based
lists by using the SIRSI reports.

We have printed copies of the OCLC holdings list liberally spread through
the library and they are pretty tattered by the time the new editions come
out.  We like the OCLC listing because the information is fairly complete
and uniformly presented.  The union list product would be better if the
participating libraries names were spelled out instead of using the three
character OCLC codes for holding libraries.

Tom McFarland
Assistant Director for Special Projects
Evans Library
Florida Institute of Technology