Re: Full text e-journals: how do you handle them? Susan Davis 01 May 1996 22:35 UTC

COMMENTS INTERSPERSED IN ALL CAPS BELOW.  SUSAN

On Fri, 26 Apr 1996 12:49:44 EST JoAnne Griffin said:
>I would love to get some information from you folks on how you are
>handling full text e-journals, or see a general discussion on the subject.
>I have in mind those journals which are offered full-text on the Internet
>and for which a print copy is also being received. What has been your
>experience in getting them going? How do your patrons like them? What about

WE ARE JUST STARTING TO PROVIDE LINKS TO E-JOURNALS FROM OUR LIBRARY
HOME PAGE.  REF/COLLECTION DEVELOPMENT LIBRARIANS ARE BEGINNING TO REQUEST
THESE, SO I ASSUME THERE IS PATRON DEMAND.  I DO NOT KNOW HOW PATRONS
ARE DEALING WITH DOWNLOADING, AS YET, THE LIBRARIES DO NOT PROVIDE
INTERNET WORKSTATIONS.

>downloading articles -- does the patron do it, or does the librarian? (I've
>heard that it can be tricky to download unless the user is a more
>sophisticated computer user) Are you cancelling your print subscription?

WE HAVE NOT CANCELLED ANYTHING IN PRINT YET.

>Are you concerned about a lack of archival copies when you do so? Most of the
>materials I've seen are TOC's, abstracts and selected articles -- these are
>of limited use, I feel. A journal that is truly "full-text" sounds
>promising, but I wonder if the reality comes close to the promise (I
>understand that this is a rapidly-evolving field).

SO FAR WE HAVE LIMITED OUR LINKS TO FULL TEXT JOURNALS.  WE HAVE A BIB
RECORD IN OUR ONLINE CATALOG (WITH 538 AND 856 fields).
CHECK OUR OUR EJOURNALS PAGE AT: wings.buffalo.edu/libraries/e-resources/
ejournals/
IF YOU GO TO THE LIBRARIES HOME PAGE YOU CAN LINK TO OUR CATALOG.

Susan Davis                           BITNET: UNLSDB@UBVM
Head, Periodicals                   INTERNET: UNLSDB@UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU
Central Technical Services             PHONE: (716) 645-2784
Lockwood Library Bldg.                   FAX: (716) 645-5955
State University of NY at Buffalo
BUFFALO, NY  14260-2200