Labelling Incomplete Volumes (7 messages) Birdie MacLennan 03 Jun 1996 16:29 UTC

7 messages, 170 lines:

(1)-------------------------
Date:         Sat, 1 Jun 1996 09:03:07 -0500
From:         Kathleen Hanrahan <KHANRAHAN@JCVAXA.JCU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Labelling Incomplete Volumes (Luellen Breed)

When we bind incomplete volumes we indicate the volume number and then
what is lacking from it.  For instance, V.10 Lacks 2,4,7.  This way the
patron can see what is missing right away.

Hope this helps.

Kathleen Hanrahan
Grasselli Library
John Carroll University
University Hts., OH 44118
khanrahan@jcvaxa.jcu.edu

(2)------------------------
Date:         Sat, 1 Jun 1996 13:19:35 -0500
From:         "Mark McCallon, 674-2348" <MARKM@ALCON.ACU.EDU>

We use option #2 in our library.

>2.  Label with what should be in the "volume" -- eg.
>     a.  v.1-3
>     b.  1989-1990

However, in the front of the volume we insert a little paper card telling the
patron what is missing from the volume.  This way we can have the shorter
label for the patrons to read, but let them know if a certain issue is missing.

Mark McCallon
Abilene Christian University Library
MARKM@ALCON.ACU.EDU

(3)-----------------------
Date:         Sat, 1 Jun 1996 14:23:38 +0400
From:         Frieda Rosenberg <friedat@EMAIL.UNC.EDU>

In answer to the incomplete volume labelling question:

For as long as we've labeled bound periodicals, we have indicated
incompleteness by putting the volume number in curved parentheses (),
unless a list of the actual issues present would make a simple and
legible label (not so, I think, in your hypothetical first example).
We might say, v.(1)&(3) or v.(1-3)--  probably the latter, since
              1989-90       1989-90
there wasn't room in the chronology for a volume 2...

Regards,
Frieda Rosenberg
Serials Cataloger
friedat@email.unc.edu

(4)-----------------------
Date:         Mon, 3 Jun 1996 08:41:55 EDT
From:         Kamala Narayanan <NARAYANA@QUCDN.QUEENSU.CA>

We use option 2 since the spine looks clear and uncluttered. But in addition
to the online catalogue, we also note the missing issues on a sheet in front
of the bound volume. The colour of the paper is usually a bright yellow or
any striking colour.(recommended standard quality paper of course)

Mrs. Kamala S.Narayanan          Userid:narayana@qucdn.queensu.ca
Serials Librarian                Phone :(613) 545-6000 ext 4540
Mackintosh Corry Hall            Fax   :(613) 545-6819
Library, Acquisitions/Serials
Queen's University,Kingston. Ontario K7L 5C4 Canada

(5)-----------------------
Date:         Mon, 3 Jun 1996 09:46:58 -0400
From:         Steve Murden <SMURDEN@GEMS.VCU.EDU>

> This question is for those of you who bind things incomplete. (We
> have lots of things that fall into this category!)
> So far we've come up with two ideas.  Does anyone have any
> other suggestions?  How do others label incomplete volumes?

We, too, have lots of these.  A manager in the mid-80s (before my
time!) decided that they were just too busy to claim missing
issues.  Sigh.

Although we do not classify our bound journals, we do have a
mechanism for marking incomplete volumes.  The volume
designation on the spine is enclosed in square brackets, which
indicates to our patrons that the volume is missing some issues.
A sheet is tipped into the front of that volume listing the
specific missing issues.

Steve Murden
Virginia Commonwealth University
smurden@gems.vcu.edu

(6)------------------------
Date:         Mon, 3 Jun 1996 09:56:05 -0400
From:         Annalisa Van Avery <AV691@CNSVAX.ALBANY.EDU>

        This is in reply to Luellen Breed's question about labelling
incomplete periodical volumes.

        At SUNY Albany, we do not consider the volume numbers to be
part of the call number of the periodical.  (This is different from
the way we treat many other types of serials.)  We consider the "call
number" to be the classification number alone.  The volume numbers
are "variants."  We put the variants at the center of the spine, under
the title, but above the call number.  So in a run of many years of the
journal, the call numbers (at the bottom of the spine) are all the same,
and the order of the volumes on the shelf is determined by the variants,
volume numbers and years, at the center of the spine.

        To answer your real question:  For an incomplete volume, we
would use the short version, like your example 2 -- V.1-3, 1989-90,
for the variant on the spine of the volume.  Inside, where the missing
issue(s) should be, we insert a page saying, for example, "V.1, no. 4-5
unavailable."  This is easy to do while preparing a group of issues for
binding; since you are dealing with volumes already bound, you may want
to think of another way to let the patron know that the volume is some-
what incomplete -- perhaps write it on the end pages?

        I would not advise cluttering up the spine with variants that
are too detailed.  Apparently your patrons can look up the exact issues
received on the online catalog if they wish.  If the information is also
inside the incomplete volume, that is helpful, because it lets them know
the answer to the question, "Why isn't that issue where it belongs?"
If they *really* need that issue, they will pursue it by going to Reference
or Interlibrary loan, or the nearest staff member, or another library,
depending on their level of library knowledge.

        I hope this suggestion is helpful.   Annalisa Van Avery
SUNY Albany,     av691@cnsvax.albany.edu

Date:         Mon, 3 Jun 1996 10:38:52 EST
From:         Carol Henley <cahenley@MAIL.STEPTOE.COM>

        Our firm follows the practice of labeling the volume with the inclusive
dates and then adding a line "Incomplete" below this.

        Carol Henley, Steptoe & Johnson LLP, Washington, DC