ALA Annual'96 Meetings & Announcements (5 messages) Birdie MacLennan 25 Jun 1996 20:29 UTC

5 ALA-Related Meetings and Announcements, 152 lines:
  1.  RASD/MARS Managers in MARS Discussion Group:
      Care and Feeding of Electronic Texts and Journals
  2.  SISAC meetings in New York
  3.  ALA roommate needed
  4.  Visiting Chinese Information & Culture Center at ALA
  5.  Visiting Chinese Information and Culture Center at ALA
      (Additional Info)

(1)-------------------------
Date:         Mon, 24 Jun 1996 15:07:00 EDT
From:         Jennifer Heise <jahb@LEHIGH.EDU>
Subject:      ALA Discussion Group - Etexts and Journals

You are invited to a discussion group at ALA:

 The Care and Feeding of Electronic Texts and Journals

 A host of management issues accompany our attempts to offer more and more
 full-text electronic resources to our clientele. These include such
 questions as how decisions are made to network electronic sources, how to
 mount or otherwise provide access, ways to authenticate users, what kind
 of bibliographic control do we provide, how do we educate users and
 provide documentation, how do we handle remote reference, and what about
 the "holy grail" of  single-interface access?

 Join the RASD/MARS Managers in MARS Discussion Group, 4:30-5:30PM on
 Sunday, July 7, at the Plaza Hotel, White & Gold A, at the ALA Annual
 Conference in New York City. You will have a chance to hear how
 colleagues are addressing these issues and share your own experiences and
 concerns. There will also be an election for Vice Chair/Chair-Elect of
 the Discussion Group.

Jennifer Heise
Vice-chair, Managers in Mars Discussion Group
jahb@lehigh.edu

(2)-------------------------
Date:         Tue, 25 Jun 1996 10:36:07 EDT
From:         Amira Aaron <aaron@READMORE.COM>
Subject:      SISAC meetings in New York
Comments: To: acqnet-l@listserv.appstate.edu

           SISAC, the Serials Industry Systems Advisory Committee,

       invites you to attend the following meetings at ALA in New York:

GENERAL SISAC MEETING:  "EDIFACT Standards: What are they and how do we
make an easy transition?"  Guest speaker: David Martin, consultant to
EDItEUR.  Sunday, July 7, 4:30 - 6:30 p.m., Javits Convention Center, 1A
10.

SISAC Education & Publicity Subcommittee meeting.  All invited - we need
your participation.  Sunday, July 7, 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m., Renaissance
New York, Salon A & B.

SISAC COSPONSORED MEETING with LITA Vendor/User Interest Group.  "Forging
New Links between Users and Full Text: Multi-Faceted Solutions."  Monday,
July 8, 8:30 a.m. - 11 a.m., Javits Convention Center, 1A 6,7.

INTERNATIONAL EDI WORKSHOP FOR BOOK PUBLISHERS, RETAILERS, WHOLESALERS,
LIBRARIANS & ILS VENDORS.  David Martin describes UN/EDIFACT for books
and serials.  Sponsored by BISAC in collaboration with EDItEUR.  Monday,
July 8, 1:30 - 4:30 p.m., McGraw Hill Bldg.  Cost is $25 for BISAC, SISAC
& EDItEUR members;  $50 for all others.  Phone 212-929-1393 if
interested.

(3)-------------------------
Date:         Tue, 25 Jun 1996 10:52:22 -0400
From:         Cynthia Steinhoff <steinhof@CLARK.NET>
Subject:      ALA roommate needed

A colleague is looking for a roommate for the ALA Annual Conference in New
York.  She does not have hotel reservations.

Please contact her directly:

Jessame Ferguson
zjef@aacci.aacc.cc.md.us
410-541-2523

Thanks!

Cynthia Steinhoff
Anne Arundel Community College

(4)--------------------------
Date:         Tue, 25 Jun 1996 12:32:14 -0400
From:         Xuemao Wang <xuemaoW@QUEENS.LIB.NY.US>
Subject:      Visiting Chinese Information & Culture Center at ALA
Comments: To: cala@csd.uwm.edu, eastlib@ripken.oit.unc.edu,
          apala-l@listserv.uic.edu, autocat@ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu,
          libsup-l@u.washington.edu

The Chinese Information and Culture Center welcome participants to the 1996
ALA Annual Conference in New York!

The director and staff of CICC cordially invite all conferees to visit the
Chinese Information and Culture Center -- New York's largest public resource
center for Chinese Culture and contemporary life in Taiwan, Republic of China.

Welcome to join us for a special program on July 8, 1996:

9:00 a.m. -- 9:30 a.m. -----------  Slide Show: "Introduction to Chinese
Information and Culture Center".

9:30 a.m. -- 10:30 a.m. ---------   Tour of library, Taipei Gallery, and
Taipei Theater.

10:30 a.m. -- 12:00 a.m. --------  Video: "The National Palace Museum: Five
Thousand Years of Chinese Art".

The program will be repeated from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m..

For more information and registration, please contact Ms. Verna Tang at
phone:212-373-1836, fax:212-373-1867.

Seats are limited, please register as soon as possible!

    Xuemao   Wang                    xuemaoW@queens.lib.ny.us
   Information Technology & Systems  Voice: (718)990-8650
   Queens Borough Public Library        Fax:    (718)523-3860

(5)--------------------------
Date:         Tue, 25 Jun 1996 13:56:30 -0400
From:         Linna Yu <linnay@QUEENS.LIB.NY.US>
Subject:      Visiting Chinese Information and Culture Center at ALA
              (Additional Info)
Comments: To: cala@csd.uwm.edu, eastlib@ripken.oit.unc.edu,
          apala-l@listserv.uic.edu, autocat@ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu,
          libsup-l@u.washington.edu

This is additional information for the first posting message:

The Chinese Information and Culture Center is located at:

1230 Avenue of the Americas, 2Fl., New York, NY 10020-1513

Again, seats are limited, please register ASAP!
Call 212-373-1836 Ms. Verna Tang.

Refreshment will be served.