Journals on the Internet (2 messages) Birdie MacLennan 05 Jun 1996 17:26 UTC

2 messages, 86 lines:

(1)-----------------------
Date:         Wed, 5 Jun 1996 10:00:07 -0400
From:         Bill Benson <bensonwo@WL.WPAFB.AF.MIL>
Subject:      Re: Journals on the Internet
Comments: cc: Ann.Okerson@yale.edu, ruth@bibliodata.com

SERIALSTS,

There may be GOOD NEWS for those of us who want to have one source for
finding information on full-text electronic journals.   I just called
Bibliodata who publish the excellent, "Fulltext Sources Online," and they
intend to add some of this (Internet) information in their January 1997
edition.  For those who don't know, this reference source is published in
January and July for $192 a year.

It is edited by Ruth Orenstein, (617) 444-1154, e-mail: ruth@bibliodata.com.
The Bibliodata person that I talked to said that they plan to add URLs for
full-text titles that are currently found in commercial databases that they
cover.   This will not cover all full-text Internet journals, but I think it
would include many of the scholarly journals.

They now cover full-text journals, newsletters, newspapers, newswires, and
TV/Radio Transcripts found on Dialog, Dow Jones, Lexis-Nexis, STN, Westlaw,
and several other commercial databases.

As one who tries to keep up with the sci-tech Internet journals, I for one
would be very happy to see them include any Internet information that they
could.  Perhaps they could somehow work with the wonderful NEWJOUR folks
at:  http://gort.ucsd.edu/newjour/   on this project?    Perhaps
the publishers that provide both Internet and paper, etc. formats could
keep them informed?

It would be a big help if the cost, including "free" was indicated too.

cy: Ruth Orenstein and Ann Okerson

Bill Benson, Serials Librarian      E-mail:  bensonwo@b045mail.wpafb.af.mil

Wright Laboratory Technical Library, WL/DORT, Bldg. 22, Area B 2690 C St, Ste.
4, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH 45433-7411

Tel: (513) 255-6750                   Fax: (513) 476-4826

 Visit our Library home page at:
http://www.wl.wpafb.af.mil/library/welcome.htm

(2)------------------------
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 15:09:57 GMT+1200
From: "Barbara Rauch" <BRAUCH@centre.ait.ac.nz>

Kathleen
If this is of help, there is a list of E-Journals at
http://wings.buffalo.edu/libraries
Some of which are subscription only.

Barbara Rauch, Serials-Acquisitions
Auckland Institute of Technology Library
Private Bag 92006                       E-Mail:barbara.rauch@ait.ac.nz
Auckland, New Zealand             Ph:(09)307 9999 Fx:(09)307 9977

..  Memories are the key not to the past, but to the future
..  Corrie ten Boom - The Hiding Place
--------
KPRESNAI@CMSA.GMR.COM wrote:

My management has asked me to identify which of our library's vast collection
of science and technology journals are available on the Internet full-text
and at what price.  My management is hoping that some journals will be free or
at a reduced cost via the Internet.  My questions are:

1) Is there an easy way to do this?
2) If not, any suggestions?
3) If I were to search each of our science/technology journals on the Internet,
   what is the likelihood of the Internet versions being free or at a reduced
   cost?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kathleen
kpresnai@CMSA.GMR.com