Feedback requested on WWW journal project (3 messages) Birdie MacLennan 05 Jun 1996 17:43 UTC

3 messages, 67 lines:

(1)-----------------------
Date:         Wed, 5 Jun 1996 10:29:06 -0400
From:         Bill Benson <bensonwo@WL.WPAFB.AF.MIL>
Subject:      Re: Feedback requested on WWW journal project

I agree with David James.    Passwords are a headache.    We also prefer
to limit access by IP address and now do so with electronic subscriptions to
Aerospace Daily and Federal Employees News Digest.

Bill Benson, Serials Librarian      E-mail:  bensonwo@b045mail.wpafb.af.mil

Wright Laboratory Technical Library

(2)-----------------------
Date:         Wed, 5 Jun 1996 08:33:33 +1100
From:         Tom Girke <Tom.Girke@LIB.MONASH.EDU.AU>

The arrangement of where a master password is in the first instance
distributed to the Librarian suits us best.

Before giving out this password to any user we first ask that they
complete a 'Declaration form for users of online services'.  This is
available via our home page at:

 http://www.monash.edu.au/library/biomed/onlinfrm.htm

Once the printed form is returned to the library we issue the user with
the master password so that they can then register themselves at the
site(if this is how that particular e-journal works).

This way they have agreed to certain conditions on the form and also we
are able to keep some track of who is using which electronic journal.  Of
course if no user requests the password then we could consider cancelling
the e-version of the journal.

We maintain a listing of current electronic journal subcriptions on home
page at:

http://www.monash.edu.au/library/biomed/serials.htm

We are always very interested in sampling a free trial.

Tom Girke
Serials Coordinator
Biomedical Library
Moansh University

(3)-------------------------
Date:         Wed, 5 Jun 1996 07:46:21 PDT
From:         Glen <5419P@NAVPGS.BITNET>

>hey i thought ip addresses were unstable? rachel

As apposed to domain name you mean (ie. nps.navy.mil)? IP addresses are
unstable in the sense that the server that a particular service is
mounted on tends to change.  The service gets a new ip address when it moves
to a new machine.  Normally a machine's IP address wouldn't change.  Although
the computer people could assign it a new address for some reason.  So if
you had dedicated machines for the public to access databases you could say
access should accepted from the IP addresses of those machines only.

Glen