Feedback requested on WWW journal project (fwd) Birdie MacLennan 05 Jun 1996 21:58 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 96 16:20:21 EST
From: "Van Goethem, Jeri" <jvg@mail.lib.duke.edu>
Subject: Re: Feedback requested on WWW journal project

Passwords are much too cumbersome to implement and manage.  Can not
Elsevier monitor accessing IP nos. and be content with that as adequate
security?  How can one be any more assured that a password provides better
security?

BRITANNICA ONLINE is an excellent example of a simple IP
verification which is seamless and uncomplicated.  Duke Univ. is
currently connecting to several remote electronic resources and we prefer
these connections to be easy for our patrons' use.  In fact, we are
cataloging the electronic journals and providing "hot links" from the
cataloging records to the Internet URL addresses.  If a second layer of
security (i.e.: passwords) is required, this is often difficult (or
impossible) to script in for easy user connection.  Elsevier: yes, of
course, we are interested in free trials (in fact, anything "free" from
you would be tremendous!); but please give up on the password idea.

J. Van Goethem
Head of Acquisitions/Serials
Duke University
<jvg@mail.lib.duke.edu>