AMS Data Access Fee (2 messages) Birdie MacLennan 06 Jun 1996 17:12 UTC

2 messages, 83 lines:

(1)------------------------
Date:         Thu, 6 Jun 1996 06:40:32 -0500
From:         Cheri Duncan <DUNCANCJ@JMU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: AMS Data Access Fee

Our Math Department pays the AMS Data Access Fee so that we may subscribe to
Mathematical Reviews.

                                        Cheri Duncan
                                        Carrier Library
                                        James Madison University
                                        Harrisonburg, VA 22801

(2)------------------------
Date:         Wed, 5 Jun 1996 17:53:25 -0700
From:         Sandy Heft <sandyh@CCO.CALTECH.EDU>

Barbara
        At Caltech, the Library pays the data access fee to AMS out of
our journal budget. My understanding is that the AMS started calling it
a data access fee in 1994.  Before that, the entire payment was
for the subscription to Mathematical Reviews.

        As you can see from our payment record below, although the
price has gone up each year, the cost each year (at least since 1991)
has been much higher than $350.  Our entire payment for 1996 is $4,310,
NOT $4,310 plus $350:

 29 PAID       08-02-90          $3,208.00   1991
 30 PAID       08-02-91          $3,750.86   1992
 31 PAID       10-12-92          $3,673.00   1993
 32 PAID       11-03-93          $3,910.00   1994
 33 PAID       10-06-94          $4,086.00   1995
 34 PAID       12-20-95          $4,310.00   1996

        Also, if you're considering MathSci tapes, MathSci Discs, or any
other AMS product, you should look at MathSciNet on the Web first.  The
URL is  http://www.ams.org/mathscinet/
We paid $1,775 for access to it, and its been a big hit with our users.
        You can compare pricing and other info about the MathSci
products at     http://www.ams.org/bookstore/mathsciprice.html
As far as I can tell, MathSciNet is the Web version of the CD-ROM AND YOU
DON'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING BUT POINT TO IT after you give them all your money!

        Let me know if I can give you further information.
Sandy Heft

Sandra M. Heft
Head, Technical Services
Caltech Library System