Re: designations & dates (Deborah Harrell) Ann Ercelawn 30 Jul 1996 20:15 UTC

Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 11:44:39 -0400
From: Deborah Harrell <dharrell@WESTGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: designations & dates (Patricia Fogler)

Although I am not the Serial Cataloger...in fact I don't even work in
Cataloging...I am in charge of updating Serials records in OCLC.  So I do
work directly with these records.

A problem our students encounter with the way we input the records is
that the cataloger uses the 362 field, and also uses a 500 field.  Unless
the patron pays attention, he will see the 362 field and believe that
our holdings begin with the vol/date listed there, when in fact, we have
only a portion of that data.  To complicate matters further, the Z39.50
rules (as I understand them) means the 500 fields may get stripped off
and not display!  What to do?

I have decided to leave the records as they are and hope patrons
pay attention!

Thanks.

Debbie Harrell
Ingram Library, State University of West Georgia
phone: 770-836-6498
fax: 770-836-6626