Re: Journal Use (Dan Lester) Marcia Tuttle 05 Jul 1996 18:27 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 11:53:47 -0600
From: Dan Lester <DLESTER@BSU.IDBSU.EDU>
Subject: Re: Journal Use (Steve Black) -Reply

Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 12:52:45 -0700
From: Steve Black <blacks@ROSNET.STROSE.EDU>
Subject: Re: Journal Use

  Personally, my greatest concern is for the loss of the serendipitous
browse if we no longer have print volumes on the shelves.  And I don't
know how to put a value on that.
----------------------

But we DO have that now.  It is usually called "surfing the web", and the
tool we use to do it is even called a "browser". Sure, not everything in
the library is on the web, and vice versa.  And, I'm not suggesting that
they will be totally identical sets, at least in any of our lifetimes.
However, those of us who use the web regularly for research and other
information gathering find useful serendipitous information at least as
frequently as we do with books.

cheers

cyclops

Dan Lester, Network Information Coordinator
Boise State University Library, Boise, Idaho, 83725 USA
voice: 208-385-1235   fax:  208-385-1394
dlester@bsu.idbsu.edu     OR    alileste@idbsu.idbsu.edu
Cyclops' Internet Toolbox:    http://cyclops.idbsu.edu
"How can one fool make another wise?"   Kansas, 1979.