580 note (Dana Van Meter) Marcia Tuttle 10 Jul 1996 17:56 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 13:49:08 -0400
From: Dana Van Meter <vanmeter@RCI.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: 580 note

Hello.  Can someone out there please help me with the contents of a 580 note?
I've consulted the CONSER Cataloging Manual, but I feel that I haven't really
found my answer there.  The situation that I have is a translation.  According
to the CONSER Cataloging Manual, for my linking entries I should do the
following:
   "When a serial is entered under a uniform title because it is
    a translation or language edition, give both the uniform title
    and the title proper in the link because they are different."
The accompanying example illustrating this text is:
   Catalog entry:
   130 0_  Fiziologiia rastenii. $l English.
   245 10  Plant physiology.

   Related record:
   780 00 $t Fiziologiia rastenii. English. Plant physiology
(This is in section 5.7.1 in the CONSER cat. manual)

5.7.3 in the CONSER cat. manual states the following:
 Notes:  When referring in a note to a serial that is entered under a
    uniform title, give the uniform title in the note.

However, it does not mention in 5.7.3 what I should do in my 580 note when I
have the above situation (a translation).  Do I do as is stated in 5.7.3
mentioned above and include only my uniform title in the 580 note, or do I
include the title proper with the uniform title in my 580 note because I am
referring to a translation?

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds to this query.

Dana Van Meter
Rutgers University
vanmeter@rci.rutgers.edu