Re: Erroneous ISSN on Environmental geology ( Regina Reynolds) Marcia Tuttle 15 Jul 1996 11:57 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 16:14:58 -0400
From: Regina Reynolds <rrey@LOC.GOV>
Subject: Re: Erroneous ISSN on Environmental geology (Kathy Peterson)

Kathy Peterson and other subscribers to Environmental geology:

Sincere apologies for having to correct the previous information we gave
all of you about this title.
As we all know, serials are complicated.  So is ISSN assignment.
And, unfortunately, this time we at NSDP got caught in one of the
many complications we all have to deal with.  With apologies for
previous erroneous information about erroneous ISSN, here are the
facts about Environmental Geology.

As far as we can determine at NSDP at this time (and we will
confirm this with our German ISSN center next week) the ISSN
printed on the latest issue: ISSN 0943-0105 *is correct.*  NSDP
will cancel ISSN 1073-9106, which we assigned in error under the
impression this title fell under NSDP's jurisdiction.  However, as
Serial Sam and those who attended my workshop at NASIG learned,
responsibility for publications of multinational publishers like
Springer Verlag are divided among the countries in which they are
published.  The German ISSN center is responsible for Springer
Verlag titles, except for those which have New York first in the
imprint.  ISSN 0177-5146 does belong to the former title and is
correctly placed in subfield y.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions
about these titles and I will post to the list any information that
I learn from the German ISSN center next week.

Regina Reynolds
Head, National Serials Data Program
rrey@loc.gov
issn@loc.gov