Closing kardex (Jacqueline Snider) Ann Ercelawn 05 Aug 1996 18:00 UTC

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 11:55:29 -0600 (CST)
From: Jacqueline Snider <Snider@ACT.ORG>
Subject: Closing kardex.

  Hello all,
     I am new to this list, and would like to ask for help regarding a
  quandry we are grappling with.  If this issue has been discussed
  previously, my apologies for raising it again.  We are a small corporate
  library--25,000 monographs, 600 periodical titles.  During the last three
  years, we have automated our catalog and use Data Trek's (now renamed
  EOSi) Professional series.  We have all modules except GoPak, the Windows
  interface.  We are currently checking in serials manually, and on the
  computer.  We realize that it is a duplication of effort, but we are
  having difficulty letting go of the kardex.  We have many notes attached
  to the cards, and we have not quite completed the acquisitions/renewal
  information that has to be added to the automated serials modules.  Do
  any of you have advice regarding the final closing of the kardex?  We
  will not dispose of all of those records.  We still find that when we are
  asked a question regarding issue retention, we still go to the kardex
  first.  Data Trek allows us to keep a limited subscription history for
  each title.  We determine it but do not want to overload our system by
  retaining years of checkin records.  Presumably our backup tapes will
  give us access to past records, but that seems a rather cumbersome
  option.  I think that we may be going through kardex withdrawal.  Any
  advice, opinions, will be appreciated.  I did pose a similar question to
  the Data Trek list, and found that most subscribers are not as far along
  as we are.  Thank you.
  Jacqueline Snider
  ACT LIbrary
  snider@act.org