Re: erratic receipt of foreign newspapers (3 messages) Birdie MacLennan 26 Aug 1996 23:49 UTC

3 messages, 111 lines:

(1)------------------------
Date:         Tue, 27 Aug 1996 07:57:41 +1000
From:         Alfred Gans <alfred@ISA.COM.AU>
Subject:      Reply re: erratic receipt of foreign newspapers

Nancy Newsome <newsome@wcu.edu> wrote:
>At Western Carolina University, we have had a patron turn in a complaint
>about the erratic receipt of some of our foreign newspapers, 2 French
>titles in particular.  He understands that they will be late in arriving,
>but does not understand why they are received out of sequence,
>i.e., Aug.6th issue may be received a week before the Aug.5th issue.
>All I can tell him is that we are at the mercy of the postal service.
>anyone have a better explanation?

In Australia,  we often had this problem with surface mail from overseas
countries.  A journal would be put on a ship that was going to Australia from
England.  It might get there alright but it might visit South Africa and Japan
before reaching Australia.

The next journal may then be put on a ship going directly to Australia and get
there before the first ship.

With SAL (surface air lifted) delivery, the first plane may land in a place
remote from your library and the newspaper may travel overland to your library.
The next day's newspaper may be on a plane landing near to your library and
arrive first.

Another explanation may reflect the fact that SAL deliveries depend on vacant
space on planes.  It may happen that the French postal authorities sent the
first newspaper to an airport where they thought space would be available -
sometimes they may have guessed incorrectly and the newspaper has to wait a day
or two or even a week longer.

Hope this helps.

Alfred Gans             Telephone 61-7 3371 7500
Managing Director       Facsimile 61-7 3371 5566
ISA Australia           alfred@isa.com.au
PO Box 709              http://www.isa.com.au
TOOWONG QLD 4066
AUSTRALIA

(2)------------------------
Date:         Mon, 26 Aug 1996 18:16:00 -0400
From:         Craig Fairley <fairley@TAP.NET>
Subject:      Re: erratic receipt of foreign newspapers
Comments: cc: newsome@wcu.edu

My experience with receipt of newspapers is also full of frustration.  I
have even had people claim that we are discriminating against their ethnic
community by sabotaging the delivery!  I might suggest tracking down a
newsstand supplier to see if they can get the papers for you.  They may cost
more, but delivery should be much more reliable.

I have had discussions with some subscription agents who admit that
newspapers are a thorn in their sides, too.  However, You may have luck
using one with offices set up in the country of the newspaper or contractual
agreements with local suppliers where they do not.  I have used an agent for
newspapers in India who collected the papers locally and then sending them
by courier or air freight once a week.  The point is that you may be able to
find a creative solution if you dig deep enough.  If you have connections
with the community that uses these papers, they may be able to help out.
Beware of local "entrepreneurs" who suddenly decide that they are able to
supply it for you.

In the end, newspapers always consume a disproportionate amount of time and
energy.  The problem is that newspaper publishers are not set up for mail
subscriptions like magazines are.  Probably 90% (or more) of their
subscription revenue comes from newsstand sales and home delivery.  Having
worked for a newspaper, I know that mail subscriptions are nothing more than
a nuisance to them.

Craig Fairley
Information Dynamics
2165 Margot Street
Oakville, Ontario
Canada
L6H 3M5
(905) 842-1406

"Services in Information and Process Management"

(3)------------------------
Date:         Mon, 26 Aug 1996 18:17:40 EDT
From:         Albert Henderson <70244.1532@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      erratic receipt of foreign newspapers
Comments: To: "Nancy A. Newsome" <NEWSOME@WCUVAX1.WCU.EDU>

There are several possibilities why foreign periodicals are received out of
sequence. Many international publications travel at special rates similar to
tourists flying "standby" and taking the first port of entry that comes along.
Your copy may come into JFK or Atlanta or Miami, etc., etc. and then travel as
surface or air mail according to the daily load and logistics of the postal
service. One issue may have more luck than the next ... or not.  The US version
of this, used to export periodicals all over the world, is called ISAL.
(International Surface Air Lift) was introduced in the 1970s.

In other cases, your issues may be airfreighted in by a commercial service that
waits until their container is "full." or at least economically loaded. I have
found that US Customs, just doing their job, can be one major source of
occasional delay.
If Customs decides to detain a shipment for inspection, all you will know is
that its contents arrived late.

The mailing wrapper of your issues may provide some clues as to which mailing
process is in use.

Albert Henderson, Editor, PUBLISHING RESEARCH QUARTERLY,
70244.1532@compuserve.com